Question Upgrading NVMe SSD and keep OS and data

7beauties

Mar 24, 2008
Friends, I have a 512GB NVMe SSD card. It's about 3/4 full. Now I'm seeing ads for 1TB NVMe SSDs for $125. I'm patient and am hoping for NVMe capacities to rise even more. How could I move everything from my current NVMe SSD over to a new one? I know that the best thing to do is gather all of my software license keys and start from scratch. How would you do this? Thank you and Happy New Year.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
How could I move everything from my current NVMe SSD over to a new one? I know that the best thing to do is gather all of my software license keys and start from scratch. How would you do this? Thank you and Happy New Year.
You'd simply clone it, and many of the mainstream NVMe drives out there come with a license key for cloning software. Brands like Crucial, Samsung, Intel, WD, Sandisk, Adata, etc.

Reactions: 7beauties

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
If you're using secure boot you may need to re-create the EFI partition but it's actually pretty easy to do with install media.

I've run into a couple of scenarios where I cloned two drives w/o checking to see if SB was enabled, which it was, and then my OS wouldn't boot up on the new drive.