Question Upgrading my WS with these... I need your expertise...

cemster

Sep 21, 2020
Hello,

My faithfull and hardworking workstation has stopped working as my Asus P9x79 WS has stopped working. I was hoping to just replace the Mobo, but then I faced the music. No such a thing as a new P9x79 WS board... Some stuff in China. Not even a used one to be found.

My WS is aimed for Music Production...

So, I have to replace the previous CPU, all my RAMs (64GB) 1200 and the MOBO...

I decided on the i9-11900K. Yes! Instead of 9900K Despite as the most music enthusiast did try to convince me otherwise...

For the Mobo, I prefered the Asus Pro WS W480 ACE... I want no Game Mobo and also this is the WS line I enjoyed for so many years, I was happy there was a (1) choice in Ausu line...

For the Ram I ended up liking the Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 128GB (4x32GB) DDR4 3600

I was thinking about Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 128GB DDR4 3600 but they only come in Quad form. My previous built was a Quad Ram system,
but I figure with the kind of speed I'm getting, I won't be missing that extra bandwidth...

So I already have a decent Power Supply: Corsair AX1200i Digital ATX — 1200 Watt 80 PLUS PLATINUM (more than enough)

I already a GPU card: Asus Evo GTX 1660 Ti (have more than I need)

I have a huge monster of a case: Cosmos II.

So I will have to get a good, solid Cooler. The noize is not an issue for me. As I have the WS in next room...

So, now I suppose all I need is your advice and some amount of luck...

cheers

Last edited:

cemster

Sep 21, 2020
UPDATE

Asusu Pro WS W480 Ace is gone thanks to help from elsewhere, pointed out what I've missed previously that Z590 chipset.

So My WS deram is now a hallusination. Intead if I feel lucky;
ASUS Rog Maximus XIII Hero or ASUS TUF Gaming Z590 Plus will be the replacement...

Last edited:

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
UPDATE

Incidentally on Intel's 11900K compatibility list Asusu Pro WS W480 Ace is not included...

However on Ausu W480's compatibility list does cover 11900K...

The WS W480 ACE motherboard only supports the 11900K processor if you have at least BIOS revision 2103 (which is currently listed as a beta BIOS) installed. If the board you get doesn't have that BIOS level installed, you'll need a lower end LGA1200 CPU to install to flash the BIOS (I don't believe that particular board has BIOS flashback to flash the BIOS without a CPU installed).