Question Upgrading my gaming audio setup...need your kind help

moking01

Apr 29, 2017
Hi guys,

I'm a FPS gamer using a Cloud Stinger as my main headset and it served me well so far. I'm looking for an upgrade in the range of $50-110 for a complete solution. Would this be a worthy/considerable upgrade over the Stingers to begin with ?

Options that i can afford to buy:
  • Cloud 2
  • G533
  • G635
  • Discounted Arctis 7 2019
Or, buying a budget audiophile headphone and a separate mic for the same budget (which is said to be a better option than any sub $200 gaming headset).
  • Philips SHP9500 + Vmoda boom pro (best fit for my budget)
  • Audio-Technica ATHAD700X + Vmoda broom pro (will kind of break my wallet)
Now, i have not tried the open back solutions ever and from what i heard its better for gaming. Is it ?

Couple of things to consider
1- I dont care about 7.1 surround
2- I dont care about wireless.
3- I cant order from drop.

I prioritize gaming and my secondary focus is music.

All inputs are welcome.

**sorry for posting in the wrong section. Please move it to "Headsets and Headphones"

Last edited:

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
I'm a big fan of home audio and have an assortment of high-end headphones but at the same time, I do like a good gaming headset. I would steer clear of Logitech. I love their mice but hate their headsets. I always have issues with them. One of my favorite headsets is the Steel Series Arctis 5 which I have owned for a long time now. Great mic and good sound quality. Now I don't use gaming headsets any longer but I still own a number of pairs. I prefer to use a good set of headphones and a standalone mic. That would be my number one choice. I use a Blue Snowball Ice and any one of my many headphones but usually the Koss ESP95x.

Of the choices you provided,I would either go with the Arctis 7 or better yet the Philips SHP9500 + Vmoda boom pro

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
The Philips or a HyperX Cloud II (you can disable "7.1" or ditch their DAC if you want). You can get pretty good sales on the latter.