Question Upgrading Laptop RAM - Do I need the same brand? Is there a performance penalty if they don't match exactly?

Fun Guy

Golden Member
Oct 25, 1999
The memory stick currently in the laptop is an 8GB Hynix DDR4-3200 260-pin SODIMM. I need another one.

I can get the exact same Hynix-branded module on EBay from a reputable seller for about $30.00.

Or, I can get a Crucial module with the exact same specs on NewEgg for about the same price.

What would you do?

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
The memory stick currently in the laptop is an 8GB Hynix DDR4-3200 260-pin SODIMM. I need another one.

I can get the exact same Hynix-branded module on EBay from a reputable seller for about $30.00.

Or, I can get a Crucial module with the exact same specs on NewEgg for about the same price.

What would you do?
I'm less familiar with laptop tolerance for mixing RAM makes and models. I've done it once or twice for desktops, and I long ago came to the following conclusion, even if those configurations actually worked.

Avoid, if possible, using a different MAKE of RAM, and -- equally -- using a different MODEL of that MAKE, even if the system will configure itself to the RAM stick(s) with the higher latency specs over both types/makes/models of RAM.

Fur-Chrissake! Buy the HYNIX, if it's the identical model as the one currently or originally in your laptop.

For Christmas, I'd bought my youngest brother an Acer Nitro configured with 8GB, and I ordered a second HYNIX of the same size and model. It was perfect, but Bro died the day after New Years, just when I was ready to turn over the fully-configured Acer with the extra RAM and a 500GB HYNIX "Gold" NVME drive added to the 256GB (also Hynix) originally shipped with the unit. [Of course, with non-volatile storage, make and model differences shouldn't matter at all.] I gave it to my surviving brother in Nevada. He's happier than a pig-in-shit, and I'm merely saddened a bit that the ACER was better -- for cost and performance -- than my own LG laptop purchased last summer.

BUY THE HYNIX RAM OF THE SAME SIZE AND MODEL. You only introduce more uncertainty and trouble with something else like the Crucial product -- good as it is.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Hynix on its way... :)
You won't be sorry for that. I think Samsung or others use Hynix chips. And their "Gold" NVME drives are as fast as that technology would be for PCIE version 3. They don't have the encryption feature of Samsung NVME's, but who needs it?

Main thing: you got a perfect match for what you already had in the laptop. The wise thing to do.