Upgrades for a 4830?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DDRGamer

Jan 22, 2006
Depends on his budget.
Definitely a big limiting factor for me. I'm already pushing much of my computer budget to its limit by even thinking of an upgrade, so if I can keep both under $250, all the better for me.

7850 I think is a great card @ 1200+ Core. I've owned 3 of them, 2 of them have gone past 1200 Core - One even 1300 core but not at 24/7 voltage putting it close to a stock 7950 in a lot of games. The other one would do 1175 Core. Putting it close to GTX 580 level, a card that was once king not that long ago. I'm talking 24/7 voltages here too. Not bad for a $160 card.
It becomes extra possible if this Craigslist lead pans out and I can get it for $130 no tax.

While they certainly look nice, I've a bad feeling that the power requirements (and space requirements) would necessitate me doing a full motherboard, RAM, PSU AND case upgrade, at which I may as well just start from scratch. >.<

That said, I'm getting pretty solid performance from my current setup - I'm okay with temporarily being CPU/GPU hampered due to a piecemeal upgrade. There's no good leads on Phenom 965s, so until something pops up on Craigslist or the trade/sell forums, I think I'll keep on trucking.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions so far!