Upgraded my AMD chip to FX-60

MrTeeny

Jan 1, 2005
Hey guys. I would appreciate some help with a recent CPU upgrade. I had an AMD 64 3700+ (San Diego) and upgraded to an AMD FX-60. Everything went fine as far as the installation, but now my system is slow as hell??? Is their something else I need to do (obviously).

When I booted my PC after the installation I noticed that it didn't seem any faster and in fact appeared slower. I ran PCMark05 and came up with a rather embarassing score of 2322. I was geeting around 4000 with my previos chip. Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Make sure you get the AMD cpu driver from AMD...also make sure it is even recognizing your 2nd cpu....check in control panel > system > device manager as well as in task manager where you loo to see if you have 2 cpu graphs...

You have the latest bios for your motherboard that fully supports dual cores?

GeezerMan

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2005
Originally posted by: MrTeeny
Hey guys. I would appreciate some help with a recent CPU upgrade. I had an AMD 64 3700+ (San Diego) and upgraded to an AMD FX-60. Everything went fine as far as the installation, but now my system is slow as hell??? Is their something else I need to do (obviously).

When I booted my PC after the installation I noticed that it didn't seem any faster and in fact appeared slower. I ran PCMark05 and came up with a rather embarassing score of 2322. I was geeting around 4000 with my previos chip. Please help.

Thanks in advance.

is that a CPU score of 2322? or the entire PCmark05 score?

Furen

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2004
I'd update the BIOS and resets its settings, the FX60 should be vastly superior to the 3700+ so I'd guess your motherboard is having some trouble recognizing an FX dual-core CPU. Have you checked CPU-z to see the reported clock speed? Hopefully it's not running at 1GHz.

GeezerMan

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2005
I'll run PCmark05 tomorrow myself on my Opteron 165 that's running at 2.6GHz. That should compare with a FX-60. Do most users turn everything off, like Norton, background apps, before running the benchmarks? I assume they do.

MrTeeny

Jan 1, 2005
Thanks for all the replies. I thought (mistake on my part) that my mobo was dual core ready. I did a BIOS update and now everything is great.