Upgraded modem/router and all devices are fine using 8011n except one

Mechabadger

May 26, 2014
Of course, the one holdout is the one I want to work the most.
I can see and connect to the network, but cannot see the internet, whereas my phones and kindles and other PCs can. I have Vista32bit, a TPlink wireless N adapter and a Marvell Yukon 88e8056 pci-e gigabit ethernet controller. Using default router settings (this was a switchout upgrade at cable store) except changed b/g/n to just n, and set n to Greenfield and channel bandwidth to 20/40,with no issue to other devices. Help from cable co didn't help. When I diagnose connection I get "Cannot connect to Primary DNS server and the address for it. The address matches the one in the router setup. I have done ipconfig functions /release and /renew, plus a /flushdns with no effect. I have alternatively disabled the nic card and then the ethernet controller and there was only a difference when the nic was disabled. Maybe this is normal, but including it. I also see on the nic card there is a connection-specific DNS suffix, which would make me think static IP, though the router is all dynamic. All the rest of the nic's numbers look appropriate on the connection details screen.
DHCP is enabled, ip and dns are set to auto for ipv4 and ipv6.
A few things that look odd to me: The DNS suffix listed on my nic, which may just be in case of staticIP--The ethernet controller before and after the updated driver seems inactive and doesn't show any activity for sent/received while NIC does have a tiny bit--and lastly, I wonder if Vista 32bit is even able to use IPv6 primarily, which seems to naturally be what the router wants to do. My NIC can, but I wonder if there is something with the Ethernet controller or Vista that is unhappy/stupid. Any ideas? Sorry for the flood of info, but I thought you would want details. Thank you for any help.

Mechabadger

May 26, 2014
Well, wow. As I was looking for some other parts, I found one of those giant NIC antennae on the back of an older PC and so I stuck it on this PC in question. Suddenly I have internet. I never considered range/signal because I showed 3 bars (good) and connection to the network even with the old antennae on there...I figured as wireless, I wouldn't see the network or show bars at all if this was the issue. I don't know, but as this may be a temporary fix, I still welcome any expertise.
As I feared, this was a mirage. I showed internet connection, but it's bogus. Old cache and lengthy spinning just to get to a base page. So it was there. I am showing that ipv4 was trying but ipv6 was not, and so I need to get that going. Added question: my router has a DHCP enable default on, but the IPv6 DHCP is not. Should I enable that?

Last edited:

Mechabadger

May 26, 2014
I did try to go static IP and that didn't change anything. I couldn't figure out what the specific issue was. What I ended up doing was buying a new router and a new modem that were both much better than the combo TWC gave me. I haven't dug into it yet to customize, but it worked out of the box.