upgrade yesterday...

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
Yesterday, I replaced my E6600 with an E8400(3.0ghz) and also installed a Xigmatek S1283 cooler. Wow, what a difference in operating temps, both at idle and under load. I'm wondering if the readings are accurate...

Before upgrade, cpu was running at @ 50c idle and @ 60 to 70c under load. Now, the readings are @ 23c, and after a half hour of my son and I playing "COD WaW" the temp is still @ 23c!!! Possible?? Readings taken w/ latest ver of "RealTemp". Temps with "CPUID" were 38c under load.

The issue now is temp of our video card, the nVidia 8800GTS...that is the oven right now... @ 75c temp after COD... Solution? There is a side-fan there, which will be upgraded soon w/ a Minebea (76cfm). Was just web-surfing and got a "BSD" and then re-boot...temp was @ 70c on the GPU.

Also, should I have have long-term concerns with the weight of this Xigmatek cooler on possible cracking of the MB? I installed it w/ the Xigmatek backplate.

Thx for any input....
Brian
USA / RI

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
Temps on the GTS aren't a problem, those cards can easily handle 90C or higher before they have problems. But if you're worried about it, download RivaTuner 2.20 and increase your fanspeed (bump it up until you notice the sound, then edge it back down a little until it doesn't bother you).

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
Yes, I will do that. I actually have that program, but have not played around with it, as it seems a bit complicated... did you find that to be the case?

Also...wow...you have the nVidia GTX260 card? I hate you.... :) That's my next upgrade...around @ $275. now?

Thx...

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
GTX 260 can be had for as little as $170 if you're really lucky, check the hot deals forum for deals.

Otherwise, if you're not worried about buying new, pick one up from eBay using the Microsoft Cashback program (again, look in hot deals forum for details) and you can probably score one for $150 or less (I got mine from eBay over two months ago for $168 shipped).

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
Denithor

$170. for the GTX260.... OMG... You are the devil...

Have a big co-pay on a root-canal/crown coming up....after that I'll be "Rockin' In The Free World" w/ that vid card... :)

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
But, looking at pics of that GTX260, I don't know if that will fit on my Asus P5B-D MB...

betasub

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2006
It will fit on a P5B-D. But it's so large it can block SATA ports. More of a problem is likely to be your case: if it's "midi" sized then the card may be too long to fit because of the case's drive-cage.