Question Upgrade to Ryzen 5 5600?

t4d

Nov 17, 2018
Starting to consider an upgrade from my Intel Gen 6 system. I don't require much, mostly browse the net, some large spreadsheet work, play a few fps single-player games, nothing very demanding.
The reasons for the possible upgrade are:
  • purchase a new M.2 PCIe gen 4 1 TB SSD to improve startup time
  • update my hardware to be able to migrate from Windows 10 to Windows 11
  • add some storage

So, I am considering:
AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Ryzen 5 5000 Series Vermeer (Zen 3) 6-Core 3.5 GHz Socket AM4 65W None Desktop Processor ($150)
GIGABYTE X570S AORUS ELITE (rev. 1.0) AMD Ryzen 3000 PCIe 4.0 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.2 AMD X570S ATX Motherboard ($155)
Crucial P5 Plus M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express 4.0 x4 NVMe 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) CT1000P5PSSD8 ($85)
total = $390

I am unclear on some possible issues:
  1. Is this a good combination for the RTX 2060?
  2. I plan to reuse my DDR4-2400 RAM, but will that be a real hindrance to good performance?
  3. My current C: drive is the M.2 PCIe gen 3 500 GB drive, which is 94% full and reads about 2800 MB/s. I would like to replace the current C: drive with the new M.2 PCIe gen 4 1 TB drive, to hopefully get to about 5000-6000 MB/s.
  4. I have a concern about adding the new drive, I think what I need to do is:
    1. create a Windows 10 recovery USB​
    2. remove the current C: drive​
    3. install the new parts​
    4. start up using the recovery USB which should cause Windows 10 to use the new gen 4 SSD as the C: drive​
    5. shut off power and install the old gen3 SSD in a second M.2 slot​
    6. perhaps copy some of the applications from the gen 3 SSD to the gen 4 SSD.....not sure about this​
    7. finally, format the old gen 3 SSD to use for extra storage as the new gen 4 1 TB drive becomes full​
I will appreciate all opinions, comments and suggestions. Thank you.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

JayMX

Oct 18, 2022
1. Yes, 5600 is sufficient for an RTX 2060
2. First, ensure that your RAM kit is compatible with Zen3. You can look for compatible ram on the motherboard's page at gigabyte.com. It will perform worse because the ideal scenario is "Infinity Fabric: Memory Controller: Ram speed" to be set to 1:1:1.
(for stock clocks, 1800:1800:1800 (3600 DDR4)).
3. Sounds good.
4. For the new system, I recommend that you install everything from scratch because you're switching platforms and Intel/AMD Windows' setups differ significantly.

t4d

Nov 17, 2018
I intend to install my current Windows 10 OS onto a new M.2 SSD.

Not sure what sort of USB drive I need to create. Do I make a Windows Recovery drive using my current system, and then use that same Recovery drive to put Windows 10 onto the new SSD?

Or, is there another way to make a USB drive to get Windows 10 onto the new SSD? I am concerned that Microsoft will treat it as a new, clean installation and then demand payment for it.

Not sure how to proceed.

JayMX

Oct 18, 2022
I intend to install my current Windows 10 OS onto a new M.2 SSD.
Windows 10/11 keys are activated either by assigning them to the hardware being installed or by linking them to your Microsoft account (if you are using one in your current installation). Personally, I prefer purchasing a new Windows key as they are so inexpensive and are attached to the hardware, allowing any future installation to be automatically activated. Furthermore, I am not required to have a Microsoft account in order to use Windows.

I haven't tried transferring a key with a Microsoft account, but even if it worked, you'd need a new license for your old system if you ever wanted to use it again.

So I 'd say just spent an extra ~$10 and get a new key.

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
From what I've been reading, SSD controllers tend to improve quite a bit going from 256gigs to 512gigs, and performance jumps again once you get in the 1 terabyte range. That would be a bigger bottleneck than DDR4 RAM.

Your old registry holds the history of your hardware. When moving to new hardware you blow that information away before shutting down and ghosting the image to a new drive.