Upgrade to 45 nm

mhouck

Dec 31, 2007
I am looking ahead to about 2-3 month from know when I should get a little bit of money back. I am thinking of upgrading something in my system but not the mobo or mem. My system is in my signature. I am currently considering-

Blu-Ray drive
upgrade to a q9650 or q9550
See if there is a GPU worth upgrading to at the time
Maybe a new HD

Is there any reason to believe that the 45nm would increase the longevity of my system? (SSE4) Is that a waste of $260 -330. (Will sell my CPU so the cost will be less.)

Additionally, is blu-ray a waste as well? I'm using netflix for streaming movies and currently a standard DVD drive.

My monitor is at 1900-1200. I use this system for gaming, movies and music.

Thanks for your help in advance

mhouck

Dec 31, 2007
Originally posted by: Flipped Gazelle
Can you afford to upgrade right now?

Yes. I'd prefer to wait until I have more of a buffer on my disposable funds but it's not an impediment.

Flipped Gazelle

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2004
Originally posted by: mhouck
Can you afford to upgrade right now?

Yes. I'd prefer to wait until I have more of a buffer on my disposable funds but it's not an impediment.

OK, you've passed the test. ;)

If you had said "no", I would have advised that you not upgrade, and hang on to your cash. Heck, I'd still advise that, considering what a nice rig you have!

IMO, one item that many enthusiasts ignore is an external backup drive. If you have irreplaceable data, that's a "must-have".

mhouck

Dec 31, 2007
I have thought about the external HD, but I decided against it becuase I have a laptop that I keep most of my files on and a 2GB USB flash drive for back up on those. I could always use more storage though.

More or less, I'm trying to get a feel of if any of these upgrades are worth their cost. I am leaning away from Blu Ray because digital video seems to be coming along with Netflix and other companies. The GPU's out there aren't going to do much more for me unless I went with another dual gpu solution. (not inclined to go that route at this time)

I don't have much of a feel for the 45nm quads. I can see being about to clock to 4.0 or a bit higher fairly easily but I don't know that clock speed alone is going to add longevity to my setup. I definitley don't want to go the x-58/i7/ddr3 route yet. The costs are prohibitive and I like my mobo and mem combo right now. (edit- This also includes the AMD route for the same reasons)

Are the 45nm quads worth upgrading to or is basically a horizontal move?

Flipped Gazelle

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2004
Originally posted by: srp49ers
get a PhII 940 and oc it

Uh, did you see the OP?

I'll post it again for you:

I am looking ahead to about 2-3 month from know when I should get a little bit of money back. I am thinking of upgrading something in my system but not the mobo or mem. My system is in my signature. I am currently considering-

Blu-Ray drive
upgrade to a q9650 or q9550
See if there is a GPU worth upgrading to at the time
Maybe a new HD

Is there any reason to believe that the 45nm would increase the longevity of my system? (SSE4) Is that a waste of $260 -330. (Will sell my CPU so the cost will be less.)

Additionally, is blu-ray a waste as well? I'm using netflix for streaming movies and currently a standard DVD drive.

My monitor is at 1900-1200. I use this system for gaming, movies and music.

Thanks for your help in advance

Flipped Gazelle

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2004
I have thought about the external HD, but I decided against it becuase I have a laptop that I keep most of my files on and a 2GB USB flash drive for back up on those. I could always use more storage though.

More or less, I'm trying to get a feel of if any of these upgrades are worth their cost. I am leaning away from Blu Ray because digital video seems to be coming along with Netflix and other companies. The GPU's out there are going to do much more for me unless I went with another dual gpu solution. (not inclined to go that route at this time)

I don't have much of a feel for the 45nm quads. I can see being about to clock to 4.0 or a bit higher fairly easily but I don't know that clock speed alone is going to add longevity to my setup. I definitley don't want to go the x-58/i7/ddr3 route yet. The costs are prohibitive and I like my mobo and mem combo right now.

I don't think there's any upgrade out there for you that will give the "oh wow" moment. I don't think that the 45nm quads are that big of a deal compared to what you have, unless SSE4 has a large impact on some of your software.

Hopefully, somebody else will have a good idea for you.

mhouck

Dec 31, 2007

More or less, I'm trying to get a feel of if any of these upgrades are worth their cost. I am leaning away from Blu Ray because digital video seems to be coming along with Netflix and other companies. The GPU's out there are going to do much more for me unless I went with another dual gpu solution. (not inclined to go that route at this time)

I don't have much of a feel for the 45nm quads. I can see being about to clock to 4.0 or a bit higher fairly easily but I don't know that clock speed alone is going to add longevity to my setup. I definitley don't want to go the x-58/i7/ddr3 route yet. The costs are prohibitive and I like my mobo and mem combo right now.

I don't think there's any upgrade out there for you that will give the "oh wow" moment. I don't think that the 45nm quads are that big of a deal compared to what you have, unless SSE4 has a large impact on some of your software.

Hopefully, somebody else will have a good idea for you.

That's what I'm thinking. Unless somebody has a great suggestion, I'm probably just going to wait for the DX11 generation of GPU's and hope that Windows 7 feels snappier than Vista for my upgrade.

RaptureMe

Jan 18, 2007
Without a doubt get the q9650 you wont regret it at all plus with that sexy of a motherboard you can easily get 4Ghz on air no problem.
You will see a huge difference between what you are running now and then..

LoneNinja

Jan 5, 2009
Other than lower temperatures and less power consumption I don't see much reason for you to purchase a 45nm quad. You've already reached 3.6Ghz, you'll see little improvement getting another C2Q to 4.0Ghz.

RallyMaster

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2004
Originally posted by: srp49ers
get a PhII 940 and oc it

I saw this post and I lol'd.

Honestly OP, I don't believe there's a reason you should get rid of the Q6700 just yet.

mhouck

Dec 31, 2007
Thanks for the posts guys. I think I will stick with the q6700. The more I think about it the less since it makes in a cost effective since. Maybe I'll get a WD Velociraptor or just be an adult and save some money. :disgust: