Upgrade time! 1155 vs 1150?

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
Can't beat Intel's gaming performance so I'll stick with them. ;)

Now... do I save big bucks and stick with the tried-and-true 1155 platform (I can even fall back to a G850 processor I have lying around if I don't go full-bore 4670K from the get-go.)

...or immediately jump to the new 1150 series. Is there any big benefit to doing this?

I'm more likely to sell/trade the entire rig in 6-12 months than just a processor upgrade...

Thanks!

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
If you are upgrading always get the latest tech, go for 4670K.

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
I just checked my favorite local computer shop's website (Memory Express!) and the available 1155 mobos... well, it's now slim pickings!

Yes, I think 1150 is the way to go. If I need to buy time, I'll fall back on my old Dell 9200 system which I upgraded to the hilt - the rare Q6700 2.66GHz processor. ;)

Performance is only a little behind the G850 in games, and noticeably faster in "work". The GTX 660 is overkill for it, but I'll be sittin' pretty until I'm ready to make the jump to whatever super-new-awesome thing comes just around the corner. (DDR4 is aaaallllmost here, for example, and I need new RAM anyway.)

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
The more I've checked, the more I've found there's not much difference between the 1155 3770k vs the 1150 4770k... and less heat, too!

I've decided - I'll use the G850 with the upgrade path to the 1155 i5/i7 processors. If anyone cares, I can share my user experience going from the Q6700 to the G850 for everyday computing/facebook and gaming.

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
That won't be pretty.

Why? The loss of two cores? The single-thread performance should be WAY better than the Q6700...

You sound like you know... please share BEFORE I blow the dough. ;)

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
The more I've checked, the more I've found there's not much difference between the 1155 3770k vs the 1150 4770k... and less heat, too!

I've decided - I'll use the G850 with the upgrade path to the 1155 i5/i7 processors. If anyone cares, I can share my user experience going from the Q6700 to the G850 for everyday computing/facebook and gaming.

Sounds reasonable since you already have a 1155 board.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I think you bumped the wrong thread if you wanted good commentary on your decision.

Cliffs on [thread=2344323]the right thread[/thread]: He has a 1155 board, but it takes only SODIMMs (laptop RAM) and doesn't have a PCIe slot. So he can't use the GTX 670 he's got with it.

I think he's planning to buy a new 1155 board and DDR3 RAM, but reuse the G850. He might have yet another, older processor to put in the machine with the G850 machine, which he could then sell. That might make a tiny bit more sense. But not much IMHO.

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
But people are complaining the 1150's are hotter than hades and no damn good...

...so confused... oops... I did bump the wrong thread. :eek:

Last edited:

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
But people are complaining the 1150's are hotter than hades and no damn good...

...so confused...

People complained the same about Ivy Bridge (1155) as well. Intel isn't going back to making less dense dies, so we just have to deal with the increased heat density. Actual heat output is the same or less.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
If Intel just packaged the dies with better thermal paste they would run cooler. It has been proven. Intel is getting sloppy with no real competition. This is what happens with an unchallenged monopoly.

People will say things like the specifications are not out yet or sume such silliness, but DDR5 RAM has been used in video cards for years. So who is not telling the truth?

How it works is it is cheaper to keep selling DDR3 even though it has been at end of life speeds for 1 year or more. Since Intel has a memory controller on the CPU, they can slow down the development if they want to.

I wonder if a DDR4 processor will even work with an 1150 socket motherboard. You would think with all the virtual servers RAM would be in high demand. I think what slows it down is the speed boost received from an SSD. So what kind of SSD compatibility a motherboard has can be important also. That is why you don't want a chipset that is too old.

Last edited:

hackerballs

Jul 4, 2013
better paste? They ship with good thermal paste. You are only going to have a heat issue because
1: inadequate airflow in your case
2: dirty heat sink and fans are blocked by dust
3: you live in 30c or hotter

and because you Overclocked too high without having a good after market cooler

orther wise if you leave cpu stock with stock heat sink, you will not overheat ever

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
If Intel just packaged the dies with better thermal paste they would run cooler. It has been proven. Intel is getting sloppy with no real competition. This is what happens with an unchallenged monopoly.

People will say things like the specifications are not out yet or sume such silliness, but DDR5 RAM has been used in video cards for years. So who is not telling the truth?

How it works is it is cheaper to keep selling DDR3 even though it has been at end of life speeds for 1 year or more. Since Intel has a memory controller on the CPU, they can slow down the development if they want to.

I wonder if a DDR4 processor will even work with an 1150 socket motherboard. You would think with all the virtual servers RAM would be in high demand. I think what slows it down is the speed boost received from an SSD. So what kind of SSD compatibility a motherboard has can be important also. That is why you don't want a chipset that is too old.

GDDR5 ram is just an outgrowth of DDR3, whereas DDR4 will be a whole new standard with point to point implementation. the spec isn't ready. it will most likely require a new socket because there won't be multiple DIMMs per channel anymore.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
GDDR5 ram is just an outgrowth of DDR3, whereas DDR4 will be a whole new standard with point to point implementation. the spec isn't ready. it will most likely require a new socket because there won't be multiple DIMMs per channel anymore.

Yep. DDR4 will also be very expensive compared to DDR3 when it first comes out. IMHO desktops and laptops are not memory bandwidth limited, so I'm perfectly happy to stick with DDR3 until DDR4 hits price parity.

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
CPU temps shouldn't be a problem for general gaming. You only see crazy high temps if you're running at 100% CPU load - like benchmarking. For general everyday use your temps should be more than fine.

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
That won't be pretty.

You never did reply to me asking WHY...

But I ran the HP mini w/ G850 and I was right - it ran all those Facebook-type games far smoother than my Q6700 had been. Its awesome single-thread performance made all the difference.

...but I just sold BOTH those rigs, so it's off to go buy that 4670k. ;) The numbers speak for themselves - Haswell does more with less.