Question Upgrade this computer?

Photobug

Sep 17, 2013
I have just purchased a used gaming computer. It is a budget build about a year old. I was considering building my own and this came up locally with a similar set of components I was looking at using myself but this came at great savings with some cool additions. My wife and I are going to share this computer. She will be using it for gaming, I will be using it for Photo and video work: Lightroom, Photoshop and Premier Pro.

Mobo: MSI Max Z390.
i7 8700
500 GB SSD (SATA)
Team T-Force (2x8GB) DDR SDRAM DDR4 3000
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070

I added this from my older computer. Rosewill RNWD-N9003PCE - Dual Band Wireless N900 Adapter - IEEE 802.11a/11b/11g/11n, Up to 450 Mbps (5.0 GHz) + 450 Mbps (2.4 GHz)

I realize this a budget build. But it has worked very well so far running the included Oculus Rift beautifully. would like to update some things to make this a bit more capable. Could I add 2 sticks of 16GB ram to bring my RAM up to help with Premier Pro? Would a different pair (non-matching) RAM sticks work well with the sticks already installed?

The Mobo has a slot to accommodate a wifi card. Would this card give me better speed than the wifi I have in there now?

What kind of dock or Hub should I buy to let me have USB and card readers on my desk. I want to keep the USB 3.1 (gen 2) capabilities.

There is an SSD inside but would like to take advantage of the new format M.2. Would installing the new style hard rive give me some performance boost. For moving and storing large files around? Thinking of putting in this drive.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Could I add 2 sticks of 16GB ram to bring my RAM up to help with Premier Pro? Would a different pair (non-matching) RAM sticks work well with the sticks already installed?
Mixing different modules of RAM always falls into a "Maybe it work great, or maybe it won't work at all" category. You won't know for sure until you try it out, although using the same modules is always the best/safest route.

Photobug

Sep 17, 2013
Mixing different modules of RAM always falls into a "Maybe it work great, or maybe it won't work at all" category. You won't know for sure until you try it out, although using the same modules is always the best/safest route.
Thanks,
Guess if I add two 16GB sticks, worse case scenario I have 32GB if the two pairs are not compatible. I can match the 32 to get 64 later.

Reactions: UsandThem

Photobug

Sep 17, 2013
My new used computer came with a ssd but the MOBO has M.2 capability. I use the computer for gaming, photography and video editing.

What kind of performance improvements would I see by migrating my operating system to an M.2 NVMe drive?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
After doing some more research...... Is any M.2 slot capable of supporting NVMw if the ssd is an NVMe design?
M.2 is the form factor, while NVMe or SATA is the format. Some motherboards can differ, but just to keep the answer simple, the motherboard you listed in your OP supports both SATA and NVMe M.2 SSDs.

Reactions: Photobug

Photobug

Sep 17, 2013
M.2 is the form factor, while NVMe or SATA is the format. Some motherboards can differ, but just to keep the answer simple, the motherboard you listed in your OP supports both SATA and NVMe M.2 SSDs.

Thanks I got a NVMe SSD, a USB Hub and card reader, and WIFI card on order.

I will wait to upgrade the ram once I get to test it with some video editing.