Upgrade suggestions

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
System Specifications:

I. Processor/CPU: 2500k stock

II. Current Graphics Card: 6950 stock

III. Display Resolution: 2560x1440

IV. Power Supply Unit Specification (Brand, Wattage, Ampage, Age). If possible, please provide a link to a website containing the power supply specifications: Seasonic X750

V. Case Specifications(N/A, Model, Length, Low Profile, Cooling, HTPC, Water, Silent): Antec P183

Purchase Details:

I.
Budget? Please be sure to include currency (If not USD), retailer preferences & specify whether rebates are a viable option.

~$300

II.
Any particular preferences (Manufacturer[nV or AMD], Brand[XFX, Sapphire, EVGA, etc], Cooling Solutions)?

Quiet and cool.

III. Do you plan to have any Multi-GPU solutions such as Crossfire or SLI?

Doubtful.

IV. Have you previously looked at a product(s) which you feel would fit your needs?

7950 Twin Frozr?

V. What are your needs for this GPU? Which games(If any)do you intend to play? If you have this information at hand, what are the desired detail levels?

Play a wide variety of games. Not a huge online CoD or BF player, but I play them for single player and I play a lot of major releases.

VI. Do you plan on overclocking the card you intend to purchase?

If it stays quiet, cool, and stable. I'm past the point where I have hours and hours to tweak my computer. I just want it to work when I have some time for games.

Additional Notes

Feel free to add any details that you feel were not covered within this template!

My 6950 hasn't really had performance issues yet. I generally play with v-sync on and I've only noticed drops to 30fps in some intense scenes in Rage. I'm playing through my backlog of 1+ year old games now, but I'm sure I'll pick up BLOPS 2, Borderlands 2, Bioshock Infinite, Darksiders 2, Torchlight 2, etc. I just want to be sure I can play at max detail at 60fps in 1440p. I also need the card to be quiet-ish. My P183 does a good job with sound, but higher pitched GPU fans can get annoying. I like that the Twin Frozr uses 2 80mm fans. I will sell my Toxic 6950 to cover some of the cost.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
My 6950 hasn't really had performance issues yet. I generally play with v-sync on and I've only noticed drops to 30fps in some intense scenes in Rage. I'm playing through my backlog of 1+ year old games now, but I'm sure I'll pick up BLOPS 2, Borderlands 2, Bioshock Infinite, Darksiders 2, Torchlight 2, etc. I just want to be sure I can play at max detail at 60fps in 1440p. I also need the card to be quiet-ish. My P183 does a good job with sound, but higher pitched GPU fans can get annoying. I like that the Twin Frozr uses 2 80mm fans. I will sell my Toxic 6950 to cover some of the cost.

1. If your 6950 hasn't given you any problems, just keep waiting for a good deal or until you buy a game that actually makes it struggle. The HD7000 series is slowly coming to an end with HD8000 series likely 6 months away. From this generation, the cards that provide great bang for the buck over your 6950 are either HD7950 (MSI TwinFrozr 3, Gigabyte Windforce 3x, Sapphire Vapor-X, Sapphire Dual-X), or some quiet GTX670 (Gigabyte Windforce 3x, Asus Direct CUII). Just wait for a good deal on one of those. 670 is the preferable choice if you don't overclock. After-market 7950 is the bang for the buck if you do overclock. Alternatively if you find a good deal on a 7970, grab that. Stay far away from a GTX660Ti for your resolution.

2. None of the games above is demanding. HD6950 should have no problems with any of them, while Bioshock Infinite is not due until 2013. Thus, I think you are just fine for now.

Black Ops 2 should be a walk in the park. Darksiders 2 is a joke for modern GPUs :), 60 fps min for a 6950. Torchlight II will be a piece of cake. Borderlands 2 is the only game I see your 6950 not giving you 60 fps min; and well Bioshock Infinite is far away.

d2%202560.png

My best advice is always: Upgrade when the GPU you use is no longer providing the performance that you deem satisfactory. Until then, just keep waiting since GPUs only get faster and/or cheaper with time.

Last edited:

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Since you current card is satisfactory, and your budget isn't enough for much of an upgrade over it anyway, just wait.