Question Upgrade soon, or wait?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
I'm a gamer and while I thought my 9600k was a decent processor, I came to experience first hand the disadvantages in games like far cry that punished systems for only having 6 threads when it and other games seem to want 8. Never the less, upgrading to Ryzen now seemed like a bad idea on account of current motherboards being at the very end of their lifespan and an entirely new generation, requiring a completely new motherboard, is seemingly coming next year. And yet, I was reminded of feeling this same way just a year ago, when I passed on $500 2080ti cards thinking the "smart" money was waiting for a 30 series card. A year later and I'm still on an old 1080ti lamenting my choice despite what appeared to be the safer bet at the time.

And then I see a lot of Ryzen 5000 chips and motherboards are starting to see deep discounts, likely due to their being at the tail end of their generation. And then there's the fact that AMD has limited infrastructure for cranking out hardware at a fast enough clip for demand and demand is sure to be sky high with the dawn of the next generation of motherboards. So the question is, with a semiconductor shortage that's looking to last for years and what appears to be a total breakdown in the supply chain as well as many other economic factors, would it actually make sense to get a new mobo/cpu/ram build now or should I wait for next gen?

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
Zen 3, would be a nice upgrade
I have looked at the AMD Ryzen 5000 7 5700G and it looks nice. The thing with buying AMD is the motherboards are hit and miss! If I do buy this system, I got to force myself into a high price gamer micro atx motherboard, $300.00!

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Yep.

And it's the lian li V2 rgb cables. Biggest downer is you can connect them to your motherboard for software control, but it appears that only by using the button on the box they came with can you get the best rgb effects.