Upgrade question

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
Without getting into the mobo replacement debate, what would be the most bang for the $$ on the P4S800D-X mainboard? I currently have a 2.4 533FSB Northwood and am looking to get some extra life out of the machine. I'm already looking at a new AGP card and think I've decided on one (current is 9700Pro).

o1die

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
It should be fine. But you might want to upgrade the heatsink. Those 3.4 cpus run pretty warm.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
Originally posted by: o1die
It should be fine. But you might want to upgrade the heatsink. Those 3.4 cpus run pretty warm.

Yeah, I figured I'd need a HSF. Just realized the chip I linked is a Prescott. I'm digging around looking for any Northwoods but after Newegg and Geeks, I can't remember any sellers I used to use...I haven't even thought of upgrading or buying new parts in over 2 years.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
you're gonna have to look around ... the P4 3.4EEs are mostly gone

Prescotts are decent CPUs but they tend to run hotter and less efficiently than the NW

in the meantime, you might consider a nice cooler and try to OC your 533FSB 2.4C ...

you *should* be able to get 3.0Ghz ... maybe more

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Ripsnort
What are you guys using to cool those 3.4ee's with?

I just upgraded and mine is running really warm.

stock all-copper Prescott cooler works OK ... i may have some Problems keeping my OC in the heat of Summer

what price range are you in?

i may be looking also :p

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Originally posted by: apoppin
you're gonna have to look around ... the P4 3.4EEs are mostly gone

Prescotts are decent CPUs but they tend to run hotter and less efficiently than the NW

in the meantime, you might consider a nice cooler and try to OC your 533FSB 2.4C ...

you *should* be able to get 3.0Ghz ... maybe more
That would be a 2.4B, since all Northwood C's had a 200 Mhz/800 Intel Mhz :D FSB. They overclock quite well, too, though. And unlike the C cores, they don't require 250+ Mhz RAM.