Question Upgrade or start over?

KillerCharlie

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
Been a loooong time since I touched this thing. If I upgraded I'm considering something like a Ryzen 5800X, 3060 TI or 3070, new motherboard, and doubling the RAM.

Given prices and the age of the machine is that even worth it, or is a prebuilt machine a better deal? I could build my own again but I'm kind of over that.

Here's the machine: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/MFjypg

I plan to do this in the next month or two.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
What do you want / need?

PLEASE when you POST threads asking for input on system builds tell us...

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

4. IF you're buying parts OUTSIDE the US, please post a link to the vendor you'll be buying from.
We can't be expected to scour the internet on your behalf, chasing down deals in your specific country... Again, help us, help YOU.

5. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc.

6. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

8. What resolution, not monitor size, will you be using?

9. WHEN do you plan to build it?
Note that it is usually not cost or time effective to choose your build more than a month before you actually plan to be using it.

10. Do you need to purchase any software to go with the system, such as Windows or Blu Ray playback software?

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
You can re-use the case and PSU. Everything else should be upgraded. Whether you get a pre-built of DIY depends on what price you can get a pre-built compared to buying the parts.