• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Upgrade or Keep 2 GTX 260s

hooflung

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2004
1,190
1
0
I was wondering if there would be any point in upgrading to a Single GTX 560 or 6950 with my current gaming rig (top rig in sig ). It has 2 GTX 260's in SLI. I'd like to start going green but I don't know if the money would be completely worth it right now. Would there be much of a performance boost or would sucking up less power and making less heat be the big difference? No game I play atm can make the box even flinch unless I run EVE Online's Incarna with dual accunts.

Should I sell them and get a single good card? I know it would lower heat in my box even though I have 4 fans in there + the H50. It would also give me back my expansion slots hidden by the 2nd card.

Any suggestions?
 

dpk33

Senior member
Mar 6, 2011
687
0
76
If you can wait a bit, the new generation of Radeons will be coming out soon, hopefully before Christmas.
 

Spikesoldier

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
6,766
0
0
If you can wait a bit, the new generation of Radeons will be coming out soon, hopefully before Christmas.
agree. if you can hold out your 260's until 28nm launches, that would be both a significant upgrade and a great length of service with the 260's at the same time.

i plan to retire my 4890s when 28nm launches.
 

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
11,143
31
91
Wait on 28nm. I don't think that you'll be able to make the jump until early 2012, but you'll be able to get a significant performance increase and less power dissipation once those come out. If you make the jump now then you'll get a relatively small performance jump + lower power unless you spend a pretty big chunk of change.
 

edplayer

Platinum Member
Sep 13, 2002
2,186
0
0
I agree with all these guys, wait till next gen. GTX 560 is a good card but not worth what they are currently selling for. Maybe $120 (but it is nowhere near that).

Wait till both Nvidia and AMD have their new cards out (and the prices have settled on them) if your cards are working fine now. They have already went through the biggest part of depreciation so they won't drop much more by then.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY