Upgrade Options for 9800 AIW

NomisST

May 4, 2002
Hey guys, hope everything is doing great. Anyway, it's been a while since I was on this forum. I was actually hoping to post by next year for advice for building a new rig for Starcraft II and everything else wonderful coming out, but it seems that a lot of great games are out right now. I really want to play Call of Duty 4, Gears of War, Crysis, and all of the other great games coming out in this month alone. My specs are listed:

[Case]
Dual UV Cold Cathode
Modified Black Chenming Full Tower
UV Reactive Fans
Zalman Fan Controller
[Power Supply]
Zalman 400W Silent PSU
[Motherboard]
Abit IC7-G Motherboard
Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive
Zalman ZM-NB32J North Bridge Heatsink
[CPU]
Pentium IV 3.0ghz 800fsb CPU
Zalman CNPS7000A CPU Fan
[Ram]
2x Corsair XMS PC 3200 512mb RAM
[Video Card]
Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer REV. 3
ATI AIW 9800 PRO
[Sound Card]
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
[Floppy Disk]
Alps Black 1.44MB 3.5inch Floppy Disk Drive
[Internal Hard Drives]
1x 7200RPM 8MB Cache 120GB SATA Seagate Barracuda 7002.7
1x 7200RPM 8MB Cache 200GB EIDE Seagate Barracuda 7002.7
[External Hard Drives]
1x 7200RPM 8MB Cache 200GB SATA Seagate Barracuda 7002.7
Metal Gear Box Substance II
[ROM/RW Drives]
Lite-On Black CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo 48x/24x/48x/16x
[Monitor]
Viewsonic P90f Monitor
[Speakers]
Klipsch 5.1 Promedia Speakers
[Mouse & Keyboard]
Logitech MX700 Duo Keyboard & Mouse Combo

I know my system is old...but I don't know what to do. I have read through the forums and thought that I was going to definitely buy a Sapphire x1950, but then a lot of people are saying that it needs a powerful PSU, I looked online and there is someone with the same exact PSU that I have and is able to run the x1950, but I don't know what other stuff he has, and I doubt he has more than what I'm powering with my PSU. I only want to spend no more than $150.00. Now I also hear that people are saying to just upgrade my mobo and get a pci-e. The only thing is, won't I have to get new ram too? I'm on 3200, I'll probably need to buy ram as well and maybe even a new mobo. The only mobo I found on newegg that supports the 478 chipset with the PCI-e 16x slot is this: biostar, but it requires ddr2 667 ram and supposedly is labeled prescott. I'm not sure if mine is a northwood or prescott, does it matter? Anyway, I will probably have to buy new ram on top of the new mobo and PCI-E card. Now I can just trash the whole thing and get a mobo and cpu combo and get new ram and a card, but that will run me probably at least $300.00, I might as well get a xbox 360, unless if someone can find it for about $200.00. The last choice is waiting for the Radeon HD 3850. I'm just not sure, people say AGP is dead and P4 gaming is dead. I hear though that the 3850 is going to be a beast, but will it be worth my money and when is it coming out? So I'm not sure what I should do. I'm going to build a whole new rig for next year when I'm in my final year (Mechanical Engineer Undergrad), so I need something to just hold me over until then. I feel like the x1950 and possibly a new PSU is my best bet for the $150 price tag, but I'm not sure anymore. What would you guys do if you were in my shoes? $150.00 bucks, I really want to spend only $100...but I know gaming ain't cheap. Thanks for anyone who replies.

PS...DX10 is it worth it??? I can get a free copy of Vista legally through my University, so I can easily reformat or install it on one of my many drives. I mean this is only temporary for a year until SCII comes out, will I really lose anything using a DX9 card? I know the 3850 is DX10 so I'm not sure if I should really get it...anyway thanks for the replies.