Upgrade my Asus

Discussion in 'SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs' started by frankthetank195, Jan 23, 2013.

1. frankthetank195

All questions for the exact model in my signature.

Can I put an ssd in? How much RAM does it support? Can I upgrade the GPU? Can I get the speed of Win8 with Win7 functionality? I know how to do all this, just not surecwhere to find the specs.

2. cbn

cbn Lifer

3. Pedroc1999

Pedroc1999 Senior member

SSD's fit in any HDD/DVD slot, it is just a matter of taking one out and popping the other in

4. Eureka

Eureka Diamond Member

1) You can replace the HDD with a SSD. Since you don't have a CD drive or two bays, you can only have one or the other
    2) The Crucial website says your system can handle 8GB, but 4GB is the max included by ASUS
    3) Doubtful, I don't believe a sub $500 laptop will have a MXM slot.
    4) Win8 with one of the desktop mods, or just live with the performance of Win7

5. frankthetank195

I do have a cd drive so maybe the link is wrong. I think its 2GB RAM

6. Eureka

Eureka Diamond Member

Wrong laptop then. The one you gave to us has no cd drive.

In that case, if you do not want a CD drive, you can buy a notebook hard drive caddy that will fit into the cd drive bay. You can install the SSD in there, and this way you can have both a SSD and a HDD.

7. frankthetank195

I might do that at the same time I put a real SSD into my desktop. I'm thinking either Intel or a Crucial M4.

Is there any way to check if its got an MXM port without opening the whole thing up? I don't need this to be a gaming machine, I've already got that. Just something capable.

8. Eureka

Eureka Diamond Member

Look up the model online, but I really doubt it. MXM slots only really come with nicer laptops.

If you're going to get a SSD soon, there's an Intel 160gb x25-m at tigerdirect for $90 after rebate now. Very good price for the capacity.

9. Eureka

Eureka Diamond Member

There's also the Samsung 840 250gb for $150 on newegg too.

10. Lazimutha

Lazimutha Junior Member

I'm also thinking of removing my dvd drive and putting in a caddy. Is the caddy more or less universal or are there any issues I need to be aware of?

11. Eureka

Eureka Diamond Member

They are generally universal. Just make sure it has a SATA connection (not sure if any are still sold without it).

12. TechBoyJK

TechBoyJK Lifer

Not to be offtopic, but I (just got to work.. early, tired) and I thought the thread title said 'upgrade my anus' at first.

:p