Upgrade motherboard from P5K to Haswell 1150, without installing OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
Hey all for sure Im buying Haswell the 1k processor 6 core 12 threads and Im gonna stick with hit until 2020.

Here is the problem if I upgrade that means clean install of windows, which is something I can not do.

I was on Windows 7 Ultimate x64 then Upgraded to Windows 8 Pro x64

My question is, if I buy a new 1150 motherboard can I just toss it in the case put in the new CPU and RAM, and boot into windows ? or will I get a BSOD like Windows 2000 was. Will Win8 boot and find all my new hardware.. new mobo etc.

Or will Win8 not boot up cuz I changed the motherboard, in that case do you think a repair install will fix things and I can boot up and it will find my stuff and not mess with my OS. thanks a lot guys.

Too much DAW installed, I cant do it again. Just connect drive to new mobo and boot up is what I want. thx

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?p=34278446

I remember way back with Windows 2000 if you bought a new motherboard and just booted up, it would give a blue screen.

Now I don't know if Win 8 will do the same thing, or is it smart enough to detect new hardware and install drivers ?

How about a Repair Install would that work ?

There is now ay I can go clean when getting new motherboard, I have too much DAW stuff,,,,, Ive done formats in the past enough,, I dont wanna touch this,, so if reapair install would fix it that would be awesome. However perhaps with Windows 8 , u just pop in the motherboard and it will boot up and find new hardware and install it and your ready to go. Thank you much Anand gurus.

Status
Not open for further replies.