Upgrade Help!!!

Drunkagain

Jan 24, 2002
OK, I just traded out my old Duron 800 for a T-Bird 1.3. On the recommendation of other I also picked up a better heatsink/fan. I went with a Volcano 7. Now when I install my cpu with the new heatsink/fan, I am unable to boot up. I can't even get to my bios. As soon as I turn the pc on I get a prolonged beep, and then it just shuts right back off? Using the stock heatsink/fan that came with my Duron on my new T-Bird, everything works just fine. I'm running a bit hot, about 48c, but other than that It seems to be fine.

Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong with the new heatsink/fan? I can see that the blades on the fan start spinning in the brief amount of time it attempts to start up. I have two leads comming off the new fan. One that plugs into the motherboard and the other that plugs into an open plug directly form the ower supply. If anyone has any suggestion I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Make sure the thermal grease your using isn't conductive. If it is, some might be getting on the bridges of the cpu from the Volcano, and possibly causing a small short. Also, make sure enough juice is going to the fan on the Volcano. Try to make sure that the protection for the cpu is off (u try booting without a fan in fan header 1 and the computer decides not to boot) in the bios. That's all I can think of for now.

Jan 19, 2002
hmm.. you know what it actually sounds like? a jumper fell off your hard drive. happened to me once.. puzzled the hell out of me till i found the thing lying in the bottom of my case. maybe in reaching in to your case you accidentally knocked it off. just a thought.. it never hurts to check on the easy stuff...