Question Upgrade from i5-10400F ?

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
I have a Dell G5 5000 Desktop.

I'd like to upgrade its CPU to boost the overall performance of the machine. My 10400F is no slouch, but for games and especially emulation sheer speed matters a lot.

I'm thinking to upgrade to 11th gen i7 but not sure if there will be power issues given this is a proprietary dell crappy PSU. I checked, and these are both 65w cpus, so I dont see a problem here...

Is there something I am missing?

specs for your reference

G5 5000 Setup and Specifications (dell.com)

fralexandr

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2007
www.flickr.com
I haven't found any information on the web that the dell h470 used in the g5 5000 actually allows 11th gen cpus. As you probably know from the manual, Dell only officially lists 10th gen. You can try it out, but don't be surprised if it doesn't work.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
If you did not config it with dual channel ram, that is the performance upgrade you should invest in ASAP. Also, which vid card did you get? If it is the 1660 super GN's shipped with, the 10400f is not going to be any kind of a bottleneck. Speaking of GN, they hated this PC, and the 1660 super it shipped with. Perhaps there is some useful info for you in the vids though. Of particular note, was how the bloatware impacted performance. So if you did not do a clean install of the OS, or clean up the bloat manually, that would be another key point to address.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFaJZq13tr8

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
If you did not config it with dual channel ram, that is the performance upgrade you should invest in ASAP. Also, which vid card did you get? If it is the 1660 super GN's shipped with, the 10400f is not going to be any kind of a bottleneck. Speaking of GN, they hated this PC, and the 1660 super it shipped with. Perhaps there is some useful info for you in the vids though. Of particular note, was how the bloatware impacted performance. So if you did not do a clean install of the OS, or clean up the bloat manually, that would be another key point to address.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFaJZq13tr8

Watched the video in full, and strongly disagree with this guy. Computer worked great since day one and zero issues with it. Did not do a fresh install but did thoroughly clean all bloatware and ran a script to debloat win 10 then upgraded to win 11.

Also, my model was configured with a RTX 3070, not 1660 super. This is why I went with the G5 as opposed to building my own, which I always used to do.

kschendel

Aug 1, 2018
Intel 10th to 11th gen gets you almost nothing in performance. Don't bother even trying.

If you have a single stick of RAM, adding another (to run dual channel) will get a small boost, usually on the order of a few percentage points.