Upgrade from HDD to SSD need to clone drive

timmychen

May 8, 2002
Friend has a Lenovo Thinkpad with regular HD and wants to upgrade to SSD. I do this all day long with Macs, but not that familiar with the Windows side of things.

It's running Windows 7, what's the best way to transfer all her data or clone the entire HD? Is there a Carbon Copy Cloner equivalent in the Windows world?

inachu

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2014
I am sure seagate or western digital has a clone tool when you buy a new hard drive.
Not sure if it is free or you can check any mom and pop pc shop might have one to give you for free. At work I use Norton Ghost. Others may replies with other cool stuff.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Sure. There are several cloners - a very popular one (free) is Macrium Reflect. My particular choice is Acronis TI 2015 using bootable Rescue Media created by the app.

ArisVer

Golden Member
Mar 6, 2011
I used the MiniTool Partition Wizard Free a few days ago without any problems. Quick and easy to use. This was on mechanical disks but there is an option for SSDs. Also used EaseUS Todo Backup Free last week.
The choice is yours, many programs. Depending on what brand you buy, you may have migration tools included with your SSD or available from the manufacturers support site.

timmychen

May 8, 2002
I'll look all those up, thanks!

Yea, it's a Samsung SSD that was purchased, I don't think they include any software... at least nothing I've bothered to notice before anyway!

x26

Sep 17, 2007
I'll look all those up, thanks!

Yea, it's a Samsung SSD that was purchased, I don't think they include any software... at least nothing I've bothered to notice before anyway!

Download the "Samsung Magician" software--it has a Cloning Program-works well!!

ArisVer

Golden Member
Mar 6, 2011

dfgy

Jan 6, 2015
actually, there are many third party software which can help users to clone HDD to SSD. you can try this disk cloning software, it's free. i have tried it and it works great. what's fantastic as for me is that it is able to clone form a larger disk to a smaller one. you can have a try. hope my suggestion can gibe you a favor.