Question Upgrade from HD to SSD Question

teddyv

May 7, 2005
Hi Folks,

I have a very full 2tb MBR HD I use as my main drive. Instead of trying to figure out how to convert it to GPT I thought I would just buy a 1tb SSD and use that for OS and programs, and store everything else on a data HD. Any advice on how to do that would sure be appreciated. I've read a bunch of write up and this is the step by step I have so far -- any comments would sure be welcomed. Currently have an ASUS 1150 board, i5-2500, 32g RAM, 2tb system drive, 1tb blank SSD, 4tb blank HD, and a 3tb WD Passport Ultra.

1. Back everything in My Docs/Music/Photos/Video to up onto my 3tb WD Passport Ultra
2. Remove the system HD, install the SSD - boot then clean install my Win7 Ultimate to it along with necessary progs/drivers.
(Note - is there a way/prog that can copy just the OS from HD to SSD so I can keep drivers, etc.?)
3. Install the 4tb drive and copy all My Docs from WD Passport to it.

Now the part I am really unsure about - how do I tell Windows that My Docs/Videos/Music/Photos are on the data drive? I've read about changing the location in the file manager, but also dire warnings about this really screwing things up long term? I have Win7 Ultimate, though I can upgrade to Win10Pro - man I hate the Win10 interface but will do the upgrade if it makes any of this easier.

Thanks for any/all help!

Ted

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
You should be able to move the data from the MBR drive back to a GPT drive (after converted) and then just create a new EFI partition to boot Windows again. Aside from that, specialized cloning software should take care of everything. I prefer Macrium and Acronis but there are a couple of other knock off tools that basically do the same thing.

You could just keep the spindle drive as a secondary HD and just clone Windows over, if you're willing to move some of your personal data off of it first.

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
Another option to consider: If you don't have lots of crap installed, move your files to backup drive and then reinstall the OS on the SSD. If you on Win10, it is very easy and quick. YMMV.

teddyv

May 7, 2005
Thanks folks - How about this - Clone 2tb to new 4tb data drive, remove 2tb and store. Install the SSD and install fresh instance of Win7 Ult and programs. Delete everything off of 4tb except contents of USER.

Now the question - is it still problematic to redirect the My Docs locations to the data drive? Would love to have systems and progs on SST, and all personal stuff on the 4tb data drive.

leexgx

Nov 4, 2004
Thanks folks - How about this - Clone 2tb to new 4tb data drive, remove 2tb and store. Install the SSD and install fresh instance of Win7 Ult and programs. Delete everything off of 4tb except contents of USER.

Now the question - is it still problematic to redirect the My Docs locations to the data drive? Would love to have systems and progs on SST, and all personal stuff on the 4tb data drive.
Not problematic just is there any reason to have your user space on the other drive, do you have to Much data or/and buying an ssd smaller then 250gb