Upgrade from 3110M to 3630QM

Feb 25, 2011
Problems? Not super-likely. In most cases, CPUs are running well below their TDP anyway, and laptop chassis will often be designed to accommodate a range of 35-45w mobile CPUs.

BUT I can't find any indication that the 4540s use anything but 35w parts, so I wouldn't be surprised if it either: 1) it overheated under heavy load*, or 2) there was a BIOS block preventing a non-listed CPU from booting.

*if you're not loading the CPU, you don't benefit from putting in a faster one.

Worth a try, if you need the speed and the place you buy the 3630QM has a return policy, but it's definitely "tinkering" and you can't guarantee results.

Bouowmx

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2016
Several things to note:
Verify processor can actually be replaced (processor uses PGA packaging): https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Intel+PGA+replacement

Verify current cooling solution and power supply can handle extra power. Note: Although Intel Ivy Bridge Core i3 is rated 35 W, actual usage is lower (~15 W using Prime95 small FFT); check using hardware monitoring program such as HWiNFO. So, an i7 4-core is at least double the power of i3 (CPU-only, no significant GPU load). As for power supply, more often than not, it is not too generous in providing that much more power, and motherboards may implement a power limit.

If processor can be replaced, verify motherboard BIOS supports your desired upgrade.

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
I've done CPU swaps in a few laptops, including to higher TDP variants, with varying luck. I've never had problems with power or cooling (although noise can be bothersome if the cooling isn't quite up to scratch), but the BIOS not recognizing the CPU is a major risk factor. Even with models where SKUs have existed with my intended CPU, I've discovered that said SKU used a different motherboard, or similar issues. Tread carefully, and don't spend more than you're willing to lose on an upgrade.

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002
I think the worst you will see is the fan runs on average a little faster, so more noise.