Upgrade from 300D to 20D

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
My 300D is getting a little long in the tooth, it doesn't focus well, has only 3 fps shooting capacity (and that's it, 3 frames and the buffer is full), and the startup is super slow. What do you guys think about upgrading to a 20D? They're going used for about $500 on fredmiranda.com. I know the 40D is out, and thought about the 30D, but the 40D is $$$ and the 30D was only a minor update to the 20D, so that brought me to the 20D.

I know some would recommend an XTI, but I simply hate the small body. Feels like a toy in my hand, not comfortable to shoot.

Opinions?

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
Either 20D or 30D would be your only real upgrade paths. How much are used 30D's going for? I would also keep the 300D around as a backup body, depending on what you shoot and how important it is for you to be able to keep on shooting.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Used 30D's are going for 750 +/-, not sure if the extra $250 is worth it over the 20D, probably not. That could be good money towards another new lens.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
I dunno, how much of an improvement is the 30D's focusing over the 20D, especially w/ fast glass? The larger LCD is always a nice benefit. That and you're likely to get something w/ less clicks on a 30D.

What glass do you already have? If there's something you're after, then go w/ the 20D.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
My primary lens is a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 EX which is really quite good, and also an el-cheapo Tamron 70-300, the cheapest zoom lens you can buy, which really isn't that bad.

I'll have to look again at the upgrades on the 30D. I thought the larger LCD didn't come out until the 40D. That is definitely a plus.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
The 40D is even larger :) It's nice, but not necessarily worth the $250. My thing was I couldn't really find a 20D with low mileage on it, so it kind of forced me onto looking at the 30D. Unfortunately for me, a few things came up that has now force me back to a 20D if I want something in the near future, heh. Until then, my trusty 300D till she keels over, again.

DBL

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
The 20D is a large improvement over the 300D. The build, functionality and responsiveness are much better. The 30D is only a minor improvement over the 20D. I can't see it being worth the 50% premium. $500 for a 20D in good shape is a very good deal.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Triumph
Used 30D's are going for 750 +/-, not sure if the extra $250 is worth it over the 20D, probably not. That could be good money towards another new lens.

I went from the 20D to the 30D primarily because of the larger LCD and better FPS. I use the spot metering on the 30D occasionally as well but at the time did not consider that in my reason to upgrade.

But now is a great time to pick up either the 20D or 30D on Fred Miranda. I have even seen a few 40D's for sale... but no money to take advantage of that. I have also noticed prices on the 5D are well under 2K now.... so hmmmmmmm.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
My 300D is getting a little long in the tooth, it doesn't focus well, has only 3 fps shooting capacity (and that's it, 3 frames and the buffer is full), and the startup is super slow. What do you guys think about upgrading to a 20D? They're going used for about $500 on fredmiranda.com. I know the 40D is out, and thought about the 30D, but the 40D is $$$ and the 30D was only a minor update to the 20D, so that brought me to the 20D.

I know some would recommend an XTI, but I simply hate the small body. Feels like a toy in my hand, not comfortable to shoot.

Opinions?

Actually, I think the 30D has several useful updates from the 20D. The larger LCD being a major one.

I didn't like the XTi either which is why I own a 30D. I upgraded from a 300D to a 30D, faster startup time is a huge benefit along with the brighter viewfinder and faster shooting. It's a great camera, you'll love it.

DBL

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Actually, I think the 30D has several useful updates from the 20D. The larger LCD being a major one.

I didn't like the XTi either which is why I own a 30D. I upgraded from a 300D to a 30D, faster startup time is a huge benefit along with the brighter viewfinder and faster shooting. It's a great camera, you'll love it.

I have a 20D and while a larger LCD would be nice, the new LCD on the Nikon looks awesome. It's got size and the resolution to go with it.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: DBL

I have a 20D and while a larger LCD would be nice, the new LCD on the Nikon looks awesome. It's got size and the resolution to go with it.

Well, if you already own a 20D then IMO upgrading to the 30D is not worthwhile. If you are upgrading from a 300D though I think it's worth getting the 30D.

DBL

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by: DBL

Well, if you already own a 20D then IMO upgrading to the 30D is not worthwhile. If you are upgrading from a 300D though I think it's worth getting the 30D.

Agreed. If you notice, that is exactly what I said further up in the thread. I was just making a general comment that while the increased LCD size is nice, increased resolution is just as important. Hopefully, Canon will get the idea since Nikon just figured this out.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Opinions?

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos30d/

Eh, not too much that seems worth it to me. I think I will look for a 20D.