Upgrade for Dell 133

blackhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 1, 2000
I got a friend that would like to upgrade his old dell 133 and I told him I thought it would only take up to a 166mmx.
Is that correct and anything else specific to the dell he should know?
I also told him to sell the whole thing and buy new.
He also lives in the middle east right now and wants something with support like dell or gateway.

KarsinTheHutt

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2000
Dell's website should have all the specs on that system.

in any case, I think you are right - your friend should sell his system and buy a new one.

DaddyG

Banned
Mar 24, 2000
Blackhawk,

Don't think the 166MMX will be a go. The MMX CPU's are P55c's and the non MMX are P54c's. Whats the diff, the voltage that the cpu's run. Mobo that support the P55c have an additional regulator to lower the core voltage. The P54c (non mmx) used 3.3 volts, not sure of the P55c voltage but its lower, maybe 2.5 ?

davidos

Nov 29, 1999
I used to have a Dell 200 mmx. I believe he can buy a 200mhz or if I remember correctly there is a 233mhz part for those computers. The voltage thing can be figured out on the Dell website but I think it'll be OK. Tell your friend to get more RAM if he doesn't at least have 64MB. That'll also speed him up considerably. If he wants a faster cpu than the 233mhz part he'll have to upgrade his entire computer which is what I had to do because Dell has very specific component configurations for their boxes (i.e., short cables that are only long enough to reach the exact spot on their motherboard as well as connectors that have a specific pin blocked off making upgrading a pain in the butt). The CPU can be upgraded by just unhooking the latch arm but again I believe 233 is the tops.

Aboroth

Feb 16, 2000
DaddyG- The Pentium MMX core voltage is 2.8v. At least thats what it says on this P200MMX right here. :)

blackhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 1, 2000
One of the reasons he wants to keep it is he has 128mb of edo ram!
He's a pilot and picks things up in the far east mostly.

DaddyG

Banned
Mar 24, 2000
Davidos,

If the mobo doesn't support the dual voltage cpu's (MMX) where the core uses 2.8 (thanks Aboroth) and the VIO uses 3.3 you can check Dells web site all day long and you won't find the answer. The mobo MUST have the extra regulator to provide the lower core voltage. Since non-MMX cpu's didn't use the lower voltage, the mobo's didn't have the regulator.