Upgrade Disaster- HELP! Be my Hero!

cheapherk

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2000
Upgrade my computer with:
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 (replacing E6420)
XFX Geforce 8800 GTS 512 (replacing XFX Geforce 8800 GTS 640)
Power PC & Cooling Silencer 610W PSU (replacing OCZ PowerStream 420W PSU)
BIOS Update for motherboard (done weeks ago; no problems)

Other specs that were not upgraded:
XFX 650i Ultra Motherboard
2 SATA Seagate HDD (500GB main; 300GB Secondary)
Creative X-Fi Fata1ity Champion Series Soundcard
4GB Patriot Extreme DDR2 RAM
Windows Vista Ultimate

I've built many computers, but I'm stumped with the problems I am experiencing.

I installed all new components. When I tried to put in the new video card, it would not fit properly. It seemed to be hitting two of my four SATA ports. After some adjustment, I was able to get it in (two of my SATA cables are "L"-shaped; the other ends are straight. I connected the "L" shaped ones to the MB so they wouldn't sit as high.

I fired up my computer and was presented with one long "beep". I figured it had something to do with the video card, so I fooled with it some more. Fired it up agin and it started just fine. I tried running 3DMark06. It would get part way through and I would get some artifacting, them it would freeze. I restarted them started a photo editing program. It froze again. I restarted and tried 3DMark06 again. Same thing as last time.

I again assumed it must be the video card because I couldn't get it seated properly because of the SATA ports. I threw in my old video card and fired it up= BSOD. Unfortunately, I hadn't deselected the "Automatically restart" in the Startup & Recovery, so I can't even tell what is causing the BSOD.

I put in the new video card again (since it at least booted before). I got a BSOD even though I hadn't previously. I switched things around my drives in the SATA ports, reseted the CMOS because I had tried everything else. I even tried "Reset Configuration DATA" in the BIOS.

I can't even get the computer booted into "Safe Mode"- I still get a BSOD.
The only thing I haven't tried is swapping the new PSU with the old one,

I certainly would appreciate ANY advice because I am stumped. I'll be sitting here by my secondary computer waiting to hear from you!

robisbell

Banned
Oct 27, 2007
the cables for the drives may be the problem, and you may have damaged the ports. I'm to understand you can access the BIOS fine, correct? I'd connect a bare HDD and see how a test install of windows goes.

cheapherk

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2000
Yes, I can get into the BIOS. I don't have any other SATA drives in which to test (I don't want to erase what I have on there), but I have some IDE ones. Fopr the heck of it, I swapped PSU's, but I get the same problem.

I was able to get the stop codes:

STOP 0x000000E3 (0x80754230, 0x841AD630, 0x0000000, 0x00000002)

CI.dll- Address 80754230 base- 806D100 Datestamp 47be5708

cheapherk

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2000
UPDATE: After trying to do a repair with no success, I hooked up my HD to another computer to save some things. Threw the drive back in then reformatted & reinstalled Vista Ultimate. Installed fine. Doing some updates, then I'll install drivers. So far- so good. I almost ordered another MB, but I thought I'd try this first.

cheapherk

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2000
Well even after reformatting and reinstalling, after a period of web browsing, I'll haer a "beep" and everything freezes up. It also will give me some graphics artifacting. I think I just better buy a new MB. :(

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
What happens if you put the old psu and old cpu back in?

The other day I was handed some parts someone else ordered and tried to put together with no luck. Hook the Corsair 750W psu up to a psu tester, and the +5v line starts out fine, couple seconds later it just drops off below 4v (not sure the exact voltage, below 4 the tester just screams error). Just saying the problem could be a number of things.

The user dclive here has instructions in his signature on how to analyze the dump files left from BSODs, give that a try, see if it directs you anywhere specific before spending more money blindly.

Here's some light reading:
http://www.google.com/search?h...%22&btnG=Google+Search

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
I'm a fan of starting with the basics:
1) Disable or remove all unnecessary hardware and features. Especially network and sound devices.
2) Run overnight memory test
3) Run the drive maker's diagnostics program.
4) Boot to a Linux Live CD and run that for a while. Keep an eye on CPU and motherboard temperatures and look out for graphics corruption.
5) Add a single hard drive and install your OS again.
6) Run it some more, looking for problems
7) Add other hardware and drivers one at a time, watching for problems.

Aarondeep

Golden Member
Jan 26, 2000
Are you using one of the SATA ports that were getting in the way of your video card?
If you are, maybe you shorted one out? Have you tried using a different port? (only would suspect this if you were using one of the crowded ports)

cheapherk

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2000
I appreciate everyone's help. I get an still get an occasional "beep" than freeze up from just web browsing.

Unfortunately, I'm not patient enough to try this and that, not lazy- just impatient.. I did end up ordering a new motherboard. I didn't want to have to install numerous programs only have to do it do it again.

I will try a memory test overnight tonight to be sure it's not RAM related. The only thing I did was add a faster CPU, video card, & PSU. I really wasn't expecting anything funky to happen.

Originally posted by: aarondeep
Are you using one of the SATA ports that were getting in the way of your video card?
If you are, maybe you shorted one out? Have you tried using a different port? (only would suspect this if you were using one of the crowded ports)

I'm using the ports which weren't affected by the intrusive video card.

Chosonman

Golden Member
Jan 24, 2005
I agree with starting from the basics. Unplug all your devices and start adding the one at a time.

Worst thing you can do is panic when you're trouble shooting. Not once have I ever had to reset the CMOS or everything you said. If you just follow the basics you can usually fix your problems. Panicking will only cause you more grief.