Upgrade audio card

Xarick

Golden Member
May 17, 2006
Currently using a xtreme gamer xf-fi card. I am getting a little tired of constantly having to "fix" it when something decides to hang it up, or the computer reboots. My MOBO has onboard 892. I was thinking about using that instead, but my son wants a new sound card for gaming.
Is it worth upgrading the xtreme gamer? We only use headphones and only stereo ones at that.
Should we just use the realtek alc 892 onboard?

Is there another option?

Thanks

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Try using the onboard audio first for a few days and if you and your son can't really tell the difference, then you will have your answer. You could also get a USB sound card with much better specs as well.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Yank it out, use the onboard, and dont tell your son. After hes been using it for a month then tell him to prove that you cant tell the difference.

Reactions: whm1974

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Yank it out, use the onboard, and dont tell your son. After hes been using it for a month then tell him to prove that you cant tell the difference.

:) exactly. Onboard sound has been fine for 10+ years now. Mostly what you get from high end cards and chipsets is effects processing for the analog out, which is applying filters and such to change the sound.

Mar 10, 2006
Currently using a xtreme gamer xf-fi card. I am getting a little tired of constantly having to "fix" it when something decides to hang it up, or the computer reboots. My MOBO has onboard 892. I was thinking about using that instead, but my son wants a new sound card for gaming.
Is it worth upgrading the xtreme gamer? We only use headphones and only stereo ones at that.
Should we just use the realtek alc 892 onboard?

Is there another option?

Thanks

Get a Sound BlasterX AE-5.

Mar 10, 2006
Out of curiosity, what features do you use it for beyond basic 5.1 audio? Do you use its analog or digital output? Are they worth it over the free onboard audio?

I use it with a pair of nice headphones, analog output. Definitely worth it if you've got a decent headset, probably not if you're using a cheaper pair or "gamer" oriented headset.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I use it with a pair of nice headphones, analog output. Definitely worth it if you've got a decent headset, probably not if you're using a cheaper pair or "gamer" oriented headset.

Do you use any of the effects? If it's straight conversion to analog, many motherboards do that just as well with a noise level that's just as inaudible.

I have an old Acer i3 prebuilt as my music jukebox for lossless FLAC playback to a receiver and a nice pair of Polk bookshelf speakers. I use an optical digital connection "just because" but the analog out is exactly the same aside from the placebo effect :)