Upgrade AMD card - reinstall drivers or not?

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Hi folks,

Following my earlier thread about Crossfire (where most of the respondents advised me to upgrade to a more powerful card instead of trying a dual configuration) I have a question:

My rig now has one Radeon HD7770, with the latest recommended Catalyst drivers. If I upgrade to a faster, more powerful card, do I need to also uninstall the old graphics adapter, and the reinstall Catalyst Control Centre?

If yes, will that affect installed applications (like VLC, games, and anything that uses video)?

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
the new card will be recognized and installed...
if the Catalyst version you have supports the new card, everything should work...

Mactronix

Jun 11, 2013
Well personally I have only ever had about 2 maybe 3 driver issues with AMD/ATI cards and one was hardware the other 2 driver conflicts.
I used to just plug and play the cards as suggested above however for the last few years say 5 or so I have always used the uninstall package that comes with the AMD drivers.
Its easy and straight forward you will find the uninstaller in the driver folder.

The main things I would consider are how much older is the old card ? is it a different architecture for example.

I have always been of the opinion that its better to take 10 minutes and do the job properly rather than trouble shooting any possible driver conflicts later on.

Mactronix :)

Feb 25, 2011
Yeah, just update your Catalyst version before you swap the cards. It'll be fine.

If you were upgrading from a 5xxx series (I think...?) or older, you'd need to do what Mactronix said.

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Hmmm... I ended up installing a new SSD, so I had to start from scratch. But it's encouraging to hear that we've reached a point where driver reinstallation is no longer necessary between reasonably close (generationally speaking) cards....

Thanks for your help, folks!