UPGRADE 3970X @5ghz

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SAAA

May 14, 2014
5GHz Sandy... hmm not bad. ;)

If you are interested in upgrading give a look at the last pages of the Skylake thread and notice what that cpu is doing in some games: at similar clocks it pushes more frames than 6-8 cores older gen processors!

6700K might be a good upgrade then but personally I'd never get less core than I already have (unless the difference is staggering) so holding till Skylake-X 8/10 cores should be a great idea. Overclockability should also go up against Broadwell-E: even more refined process/architecture and no more FIVR.

Kabylake likely is just a minor step so the quad cores will only have clocks as advantage, Skylake had the gains in games this generation, Haswell in compute. Likely Skylake-X has different cores than 6700K, derived from the server variant, and supports newer AVX and possibly larger caches, so it will be even better at compute.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Kabylake likely is just a minor step so the quad cores will only have clocks as advantage, Skylake had the gains in games this generation, Haswell in compute. Likely Skylake-X has different cores than 6700K, derived from the server variant, and supports newer AVX and possibly larger caches, so it will be even better at compute.

Who knows, we might even get working TSX

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
as i wrote above, my upgrades options are :

- 5960x
- 6950x

in m not interested in others cpus and i m not interested in low sockets

Well for gaming both of those CPUs will give you worse performance. 5960x and 6950x are 8/10 core, meaning they will clock lower per core because of the increased core count.

6950x seems to hit a wall around 4.2-4.4GHz which would basically match your current 3970K for single core performance. And many have trouble getting more than 4GHz which would give you worse single core performance than your 3970k.

So for gaming, which tends to rely on 1-4 cores and generally NOT any more than that, neither of those CPUs makes sense.

Nhirlathothep

Aug 23, 2014
www.youtube.com
Well for gaming both of those CPUs will give you worse performance. 5960x and 6950x are 8/10 core, meaning they will clock lower per core because of the increased core count.

6950x seems to hit a wall around 4.2-4.4GHz which would basically match your current 3970K for single core performance. And many have trouble getting more than 4GHz which would give you worse single core performance than your 3970k.

So for gaming, which tends to rely on 1-4 cores and generally NOT any more than that, neither of those CPUs makes sense.

ok, so the answer is no ?

Nhirlathothep

Aug 23, 2014
www.youtube.com
If you're talking about only gaming, the answer is no.

3970x is on the gaming pc,but i don t play games (no time), only some benchmarks to test hw sometimes. (cinebench for cpu 3Dmark for gpu)

the idea is not to upgrade my gaming pc, but to buy another one with 5960x or 6950x
(keeping my old pc too)

Last edited:

Nhirlathothep

Aug 23, 2014
www.youtube.com
5GHz Sandy... hmm not bad. ;)

If you are interested in upgrading give a look at the last pages of the Skylake thread and notice what that cpu is doing in some games: at similar clocks it pushes more frames than 6-8 cores older gen processors!

6700K might be a good upgrade then but personally I'd never get less core than I already have (unless the difference is staggering) so holding till Skylake-X 8/10 cores should be a great idea. Overclockability should also go up against Broadwell-E: even more refined process/architecture and no more FIVR.

better wait for Skylake-E ?

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
What's the second PC for?

Skylake-X will be another incremental 5% IPC upgrade, but it might not have nearly as much clockspeed penalty when compared with Broadwell-E. Even so, don't expect too much of an improvement over your very exceptional 5GHz SB-E.

Nhirlathothep

Aug 23, 2014
www.youtube.com
What's the second PC for?

Skylake-X will be another incremental 5% IPC upgrade, but it might not have nearly as much clockspeed penalty when compared with Broadwell-E. Even so, don't expect too much of an improvement over your very exceptional 5GHz SB-E.

the new pc (like the old one) is to test the new hw, not only cpu, but new pciex ssd, new gpus...
only some bench (cinebench and 3dmark) end general use, but i want to see how new gen hw performs compared to the old one.