Upgradable Laptop GPU

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
They are upgradable if the mobile GPU is of a MXM slot type which comes with most gaming laptops. But as a reminder, MXM slot GPU is targeted at a very small market hence it will not be cheap. Just take a look here.

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
What would be involved in upgrading with the MXM thing?

Not to be pessimistic, but what if this company goes out of business before the next GPU module is available?

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
What would be involved in upgrading with the MXM thing?

Not to be pessimistic, but what if this company goes out of business before the next GPU module is available?
MXM is a standard that every high end gaming laptop use, not limited to Malibal. They are probably transferable from one manufacturer's model to another since they are almost made the same. As for the upgrading of MXM slot GPUs, there are videos on how to DIY.

Opyders

Nov 6, 2012
They are upgradable if the mobile GPU is of a MXM slot type which comes with most gaming laptops. But as a reminder, MXM slot GPU is targeted at a very small market hence it will not be cheap. Just take a look here.

So are all the high mobile graphics chips MXM? I could get the p150em se with a 7970m instead. Would that be more upgradable in the future? Thanks for the reply.

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
So are all the high mobile graphics chips MXM? I could get the p150em se with a 7970m instead. Would that be more upgradable in the future? Thanks for the reply.
It depends on the method of implementation by the laptop manufacturers. Usually it is MXM for high end gaming laptops to enable customizability of different GPUs in the same model.

I've linked to Malibal's page where they have GPUs for upgrades/replacement, they only carry Nvidia's cards. This isn't to say that it isn't upgradable with an AMD GPU. It is possible if it is of a MXM slot type which is a common standard among high end laptop GPUs.

KompuKare

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2009
I remember looking into MMX when I had this broken AiO desktop I wanted to fix: the spec is a bit vague but the mobo usually has to support the upgraded card in the BIOS too so it's not like with a desktop. I guess the rational is to stop a user from installing a card which is a higher wattage but I would have preferred if Nvidia (who designed MXM) had just made it so that a card could report 'I need 50W, 70W etc' and the BIOS would know what TPU the laptop was designed for and if the card was below that it would run.

Never got that AiO working since the parts were too expensive but the irony was it was mainly used for TV usage and the motherboard had an Intel 4500 onboard which would have handled that fine but there was no way to disable the MXM slot. I managed to find the MXM spec PDF somewhere and there is meant to be a MXM 'bypass' card but I was never able to find any. A pity.

Last edited: