Question Updating my computer to SSD drive ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MRGOOCH

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2004
I have tried without success to change to SSD boot drive and storage without success. My computers motherboard and cpu are 12 years old. It does not show the drive as being there.My cables are good. I believe my BIOS is the problem . Would It be prudent to upgrade my motherboard and cpu again?

Last edited:

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
View attachment 75408

I don't think Gigabyte would be releasing BIOS updates for a non-UEFI mobo in 2014 so my guess is that it's UEFI and good chance that it will support NVMe booting.
Yeah, looks like all revisions do advertise UEFI dual BIOS. Not sure which revision OP has, but hopefully NVMe support is there as well.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
View attachment 75408

I don't think Gigabyte would be releasing BIOS updates for a non-UEFI mobo in 2014 so my guess is that it's UEFI and good chance that it will support NVMe booting.

From the Gigabyte pages:

• GIGABYTE Touch BIOS™ (Patent Pending)
    An Innovative New Way to Modify BIOS Settings
    1959.jpg
    Navigating through the BIOS to change system settings can be a daunting task for users not familiar with control “F”functions and mouse-less navigation. While some EFI BIOS try to address this with a mouse friendly environment, many implementations still lack a certain ease-of-use necessary for most people. With GIGABYTE Touch BIOS™, GIGABYTE engineers have completely re-imagined how users can interact with their BIOS, allowing for a more intuitive user experience. In fact, with a touch screen monitor, GIGABYTE Touch BIOS™ is as easy to use as most apps on your iPhone.
  • DualBIOS™ 3TB+ HDD Support (Hybrid EFI Technology)
    1873.jpg

Hybrid EFI Technology combines the benefits of GIGABYTE's mature BIOS platform including stability and compatibility with 3rd party products with 3TB+ HDD support from EFI technology, allowing GIGABYTE to offer the best of both worlds through a quick and easy BIOS update using GIGABYTE's @BIOS utility that is freely available from the GIGABYTE website.
    GIGABYTE DualBIOS™ is a patented technology that automatically recovers BIOS data when the main BIOS has crashed or failed. Featuring 2 physical BIOS ROMs integrated onboard, GIGABYTE DualBIOS™ allows quick and seamless recovery from BIOS damage or failure due to viruses or improper BIOS updating. In addition, GIGABYTE DualBIOS™ now supports 3TB+ (terabyte) hard drive booting without the need for partitioning, and enables more data storage on a single hard drive.

Also, the board DOES have a single m.2 connector.
Storage Interface South Bridge:- 1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280 SATA and PCIe x4/x2 SSD support)
Would it support NVMe? I don't know enough about the difference to answer that..

Never mind...Boomer had a Brain Fart.

Last edited:

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
From the Gigabyte pages:

Also, the board DOES have a single m.2 connector.

Would it support NVMe? I don't know enough about the difference to answer that..
Where are you seeing the m.2 connector? I cannot find a mention of it on the gigabyte website for that board. Also, I cannot see the m.2 slot on the board's picture.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Where are you seeing the m.2 connector? I cannot find a mention of it on the gigabyte website for that board. Also, I cannot see the m.2 slot on the board's picture.
Yeah, no mention of M.2 connector on the specs page.

WTF? I thought for sure I had been on the gigabyte page for THIS motherboard when I saw that. I must have had another...senior moment.

Ah crap...

(so close...yet so far.)

Last edited:

MRGOOCH

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2004
Time to do some research into the new computer parts, and how to configure the BIOS on your board. Also, I would recommend going to Windows 10 at this point if you are not already, especially if going to an NVMe drive. Makes installation much easier.

But I am not sure the NVMe drive will be bootable on the current board. Something to check.
Yes I already have windows 10