Updating BIOS from hard drive partitioned as FAT32

Loosley

Jan 17, 2011
Hello,

Is it possible to update the mobo BIOS using Asus EZ Flash from an internal SATA hard drive partitioned as FAT32? I have an Asus P8P67 motherboard, and the manual says that Asus EZ Flash should be run from a USB flash drive, but I don't have a reliable USB flash drive around right now. So what I did was to partition out a small 1 GB partition on my WD20EARS as FAT32, and then copy the BIOS .rom file to it. EZ Flash was able to read the BIOS from this parition, but I have not gone ahead and actually updated the BIOS yet.

Is it advisable to update the BIOS from an internal hard drive partitioned as FAT32 this way? Has anyone done this? Or should I go out and get a USB flash drive?

Thanks!

Asus P8P67 Pro
Intel Core i5 2500K

Last edited:

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
if ya have a cd/dvd burner it should work from that. I think, tho I dont know for certain that it should work from any fat32 partition, including on a HDD. as long as you can direct the utility to where the file is, it should work.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
If it can read the BIOS file, then it should be okay. BITD I had a 20GB EIDE HDD that was FAT32 and booted straight to DOS. I used it for sundry tasks such as BIOS updating.