Updates to hide to prevent Windows 10 Upgrade / Disable Telemetry

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Towermax

Mar 19, 2006
This info has been very helpful. I frequently refer to this thread when updating systems for family and friends who do not want Windows 10 and/or prefer to minimize telemetry.

TheGardener

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2014
Several weeks back I went through berryracer's list and deleted in the UnInstall An Update utility of Windows 7, all the KB files I could find on the list. Then I shut down LiveUpdate. With KB files being installed after I swore I never installed them, I realized at this point that I was dealing with malware. So far LiveUpdate has remained shut off. Hopefully there is not a KB time bomb hidden in the updates remaining. I'd prefer to install critical updates as they come along, but I can't trust Microsoft. I feel like I joined those Windows XP fanatics.

Aikimaniac

Jan 11, 2015
Well..i started to use Vivaldi browser and i didnt updated windows more than 6 weeks...im ok with it and i dont care...i hope i get soon over the period of playing games and then i move to linux...

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Well, you can get the Enterprise edition. Better control, less junk built-in. More time spent with your family.

The free upgrade... what did you expect.

Thanks for the info. If you can purchase just one or two copies for that price I'd seriously consider it just to have more control over windows updates and telemetry without having to install a 3rd party program or spend time tweaking registry settings and who knows what else.

thepower

Feb 9, 2016
berryracer (and anandtech users),

i registered here to say thank you for your work on helping people to learn about and prevent windows 10 spying/upgrades. i have also been working on my own utility for this and have used a lot of your ideas and information. also it looks like i may have a few things you haven't posted yet so feel free to borrow anything from my script if you would like to use it (see link below). thanks again and keep up the good work!

regards,

thepower / https://voat.co/v/technology/comments/459263

Executioner

Oct 24, 1999
I wanted to double check what I had installed, so I created an Excel sheet with all the KB's installed in my system. I had the output go out to a text file in your user profile with this command: wmic qfe list brief /format:texttablewsys > "%USERPROFILE%\hotfix.txt"

The only problem is the format, but I spent about an hour cleaning it up to where only the KB's are listed. I then took Berry's list and searched each KB to see if it was installed. Sure enough, I had only 4:
KB2990214
KB3042058
KB3065987
KB3083324
So now I have a spreadsheet where I can record what is installed going forward. I've been using Autopatcher, so the KB's are listed when it compares what is installed. It seems that Autopatcher has done a decent job in not installing the ones you don't want.

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
I wanted to double check what I had installed, so I created an Excel sheet with all the KB's installed in my system. I had the output go out to a text file in your user profile with this command: wmic qfe list brief /format:texttablewsys > "%USERPROFILE%\hotfix.txt"

The only problem is the format, but I spent about an hour cleaning it up to where only the KB's are listed. I then took Berry's list and searched each KB to see if it was installed. Sure enough, I had only 4:
KB2990214
KB3042058
KB3065987
KB3083324
So now I have a spreadsheet where I can record what is installed going forward. I've been using Autopatcher, so the KB's are listed when it compares what is installed. It seems that Autopatcher has done a decent job in not installing the ones you don't want.

The easier way to do it is, install all updates then reboot, then run the batch file to get rid of the bad ones then reboot, now disable automatic updates because even if you hide the bad ones, they seem to be pushed again. Do this on a bi weekly basis to have all the updates (ie. the good ones at least)

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I have decided on how to disable windows 10 telemetry.
I will not use windows 10. Well for gaming I will.

I am gonna reduce this 8.1 box to the minimum of 1TB 850evo, haswell, 32GB ddr3 and 780gtx(and upgrade to latest 14nm single die gpu come summer), upgrade it to 10 and let it run steam and origin and ++.. And thats it, other than that it will hibernate, idle or be shutdown.
I will build a new skylake rig to stand next to it and problary run debian off it.
Then Im gonna switch station with these guys :
Displayport
http://www.lindy.co.uk/audio-video-...yport-c178/2-port-4k-displayport-switch-p8796

USB (keyboard and mouse)
http://www.dx.com/p/5gbps-usb-3-0-hi-speed-4-port-hub-w-separate-button-switch-black-214006

So effectively reducing the windows 10 box to a gaming appliance. I guess microsoft can snuff out my gaming habits if that floats their boat and ill keep my privacy on the deb box.

Aikimaniac

Jan 11, 2015
Whats wrong with Windows 7 for gaming ? :) If you have good HW, install Linux and in put some VM on it to install Windows 7 to be able to play games... :)

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I have decided on how to disable windows 10 telemetry.
I will not use windows 10. Well for gaming I will.

I am gonna reduce this 8.1 box to the minimum of 1TB 850evo, haswell, 32GB ddr3 and 780gtx(and upgrade to latest 14nm single die gpu come summer), upgrade it to 10 and let it run steam and origin and ++.. And thats it, other than that it will hibernate, idle or be shutdown.
I will build a new skylake rig to stand next to it and problary run debian off it.
Then Im gonna switch station with these guys :
Displayport
http://www.lindy.co.uk/audio-video-...yport-c178/2-port-4k-displayport-switch-p8796

USB (keyboard and mouse)
http://www.dx.com/p/5gbps-usb-3-0-hi-speed-4-port-hub-w-separate-button-switch-black-214006

So effectively reducing the windows 10 box to a gaming appliance. I guess microsoft can snuff out my gaming habits if that floats their boat and ill keep my privacy on the deb box.
I'm building a Windows 10 gaming only PC as we speak. Thanks for the info on the switches. I hadn't looked into it yet but I'm glad to see switches are available.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I'm building a Windows 10 gaming only PC as we speak. Thanks for the info on the switches. I hadn't looked into it yet but I'm glad to see switches are available.

Nice.
Funny how "free" windows 10 turned out to be the, by far, most expensive version of windows i've ever aquired.. But hey you gotta do what you gotta do.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
My System Mechanic just updated to 15.5 on my Win10, some nice new features ie,

NEW Privacy Shield™
Disable Windows 10 services that can share your wi-fi network connections with your contacts as well as collect information regarding your browsing habits, program usage, and more. Privacy Shield includes:
NEW Disable Microsoft Data Collection and Telemetry Services

• One click turns off services that automatically record many of your PC habits and actions, including memory snapshots, program usage, system configuration, network connection, and more.
  • Before Privacy Shield, these services could not be fully disabled without modifying the registry if you followed the default Windows 10 installation process.
NEW Disable Wi-Fi Sense Service

• When you allow network sharing, this service stores your encrypted wi-fi password on a Microsoft server and then shares it with all of your Outlook, Skype, and Facebook contacts.
  • Disable this service with one click from within the Privacy Shield wizard.
NEW NEW Disable SmartScreen Service

• One click disables this service that collects data on your browsing history and sends this information to Microsoft.

http://www.iolo.com/landing/system-...C991134F62&tid=13&cta=cta2&LICENSE=C991134F62

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
My System Mechanic just updated to 15.5 on my Win10, some nice new features ie,

Wi-Fi Sense Service

• When you allow network sharing, this service stores your encrypted wi-fi password on a Microsoft server and then shares it with all of your Outlook, Skype, and Facebook contacts.

Why in the world would I want everyone having my wifi password? D:

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Why in the world would I want everyone having my wifi password? D:

It is used to share the wifi without sharing the password. It basically shares a URL with the contact's Windows 10 wifi sense service which will download the password over https connection to connect to the wifi network. The user never sees the password and cannot share with THEIR contacts. You must explicitly share your network, it is not shared by default, so I don't see the value in adding this to any sort of "Stop Spying" utility.

*yeah, there is probably some MITM attack you could do to get the password. Don't use it if you don't want it.