Updates to hide to prevent Windows 10 Upgrade / Disable Telemetry

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TheGardener

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2014
Is there a log file to view the Windows Update installs? If so, where do I find it on Windows 7? I find that I cannot search, as in Control F, using the Windows prescribed method through the Control Panel. So looking up the individual KB numbers is very difficult and inefficient.

Underclocked

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
View update history in windows updates... and yes it's a PIA since they are not organized numerically. If you use wusa to uninstall an update and that update is not there... it will simply tell you.

TheGardener

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2014
View update history in windows updates... and yes it's a PIA since they are not organized numerically. If you use wusa to uninstall an update and that update is not there... it will simply tell you.
I believe my question is clear, is there a log file? Trying to make it easier.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
New updates added to the OP:

KB3083710 (Update for the Windows Update client with sketchy details for Windows 7, see this thread)
KB3083711 (Update for the Windows Update client with sketchy details for Windows 8, see this thread)

So, wait...you're going to tell people to not install an update because of "sketchy details"? Why don't you just go to the OP and tell people to turn off Windows Update?

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
So, wait...you're going to tell people to not install an update because of "sketchy details"? Why don't you just go to the OP and tell people to turn off Windows Update?
Comes down to trust in the end.

Would you let anyone install anything on your computer without an explanation? Then why Microsoft?

Microsofts recent track record doesn't exactly engender a trustworthy relationship.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Comes down to trust in the end.

Would you let anyone install anything on your computer without an explanation? Then why Microsoft?

Microsofts recent track record doesn't exactly engender a trustworthy relationship.

Depends on who it is. I let Apple install updates on OSX/iOS. I let Steam install all updates for my games. I let MS install updates on my PC. When people can actually show a real reason to be concerned about this telemetry, I'll be worried...but right now, I just see a bunch of people with tin foil hats. Google already knows everything about you. So does Facebook. If you're so worried about some telemetry in Windows 10 - why are you even online?

http://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2015/09/28/privacy-and-windows-10/

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
When people can actually show a real reason to be concerned about this telemetry, I'll be worried...but right now, I just see a bunch of people with tin foil hats.

I posted my concerns earlier. I've also had my telemetry settings reset themselves to enhanced (or whatever the full version is) a couple of times, which I'm certain is probably a bug but that's no consolation if supposedly private documents get leaked.

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Microsoft REALLY needs to provide a Fix-It button that would permanently disable
any (current or future) Windows 10 upgrade app Task Bar icons or further Windows Updates that continue to appear, forcing a Windows 10 upgrade on the home user, unless that selection box is manually unchecked.
Maybe there's a simple way to permanently disable appearance of the Windows 10 upgrade icon from the taskbar? I've tried the OP's method of:

wusa /uninstall /kb:2505438 /norestart

But the Windows 10 icon keeps re-appearing after allowing Windows Update to do it's updating, even though none of the newest updates are listed among the couple of dozen in the OP's list.

Last edited:

Underclocked

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
There is already at least one class-action law suit being filed against Microsoft. I expect more to follow.

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006

Did you even click on the link at the end of the KB Articles? :whiste:

I don't post laws, I post guidance, if you don't want to follow, at least you can pick what you want to hide but I present the big picture.

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
Depends on who it is. I let Apple install updates on OSX/iOS. I let Steam install all updates for my games. I let MS install updates on my PC. When people can actually show a real reason to be concerned about this telemetry, I'll be worried...but right now, I just see a bunch of people with tin foil hats. Google already knows everything about you. So does Facebook. If you're so worried about some telemetry in Windows 10 - why are you even online?

http://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2015/09/28/privacy-and-windows-10/

Since you're not worried about giving out your data, because hey, what can they do with it? why don't you post your bank account details, phone numbers, house address etc? I'm sure someone will make use of it. :rolleyes:

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
Microsoft REALLY needs to provide a Fix-It button that would permanently disable
any (current or future) Windows 10 upgrade app Task Bar icons or further Windows Updates that continue to appear, forcing a Windows 10 upgrade on the home user, unless that selection box is manually unchecked.
Maybe there's a simple way to permanently disable appearance of the Windows 10 upgrade icon from the taskbar? I've tried the OP's method of:

wusa /uninstall /kb:2505438 /norestart

But the Windows 10 icon keeps re-appearing after allowing Windows Update to do it's updating, even though none of the newest updates are listed among the couple of dozen in the OP's list.

That can only happen if one of them updates has been installed. Bear in mind when you hide some of them, they re-appear once or twice until you hide them again they will be gone forever. I just installed Windows 7 about 10 times the last month and hid the updates in this list and not one of the machines had the GWX or Windows 10 upgrade notification. not one.

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
That can only happen if one of them updates has been installed. Bear in mind when you hide some of them, they re-appear once or twice until you hide them again they will be gone forever. I just installed Windows 7 about 10 times the last month and hid the updates in this list and not one of the machines had the GWX or Windows 10 upgrade notification. not one.

I'm talking about Windows 8.1, so then maybe there's additional Windows 10 related KB numbers that do apply to Win8/8.1, but simply aren't showing up when using Win7 ?
At any rate, it's a giant pain trying to trace down each individual KB number, uninstall it, then check for updates, then hide the updates. Not to mention: hidden updates re-appearing, which I haven't actually seen/can't confirm.
Microsoft should acknowledge the error, and provide a simple one click "Fix It" that would solve the problem.
Might need separate "Fix Its" for Win7, Win8, & Win8.1 (don't know).
Currently, I still have the Windows 10 "free upgrade" icon appearing in the Task Bar, even though all of the OP's listed KB updates (if they were installed) have now been uninstalled & hidden.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Edit: the Win10 update icon is run by the GWX.exe file located in the c\Windows\System32\GWX folder. Hopefully by changing the read/write permissions for that folder, the update icon will not re-appear.

Last edited:

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
I'm talking about Windows 8.1, so then maybe there's additional Windows 10 related KB numbers that do apply to Win8/8.1, but simply aren't showing up when using Win7 ?
At any rate, it's a giant pain trying to trace down each individual KB number, uninstall it, then check for updates, then hide the updates. Not to mention: hidden updates re-appearing, which I haven't actually seen/can't confirm.
Microsoft should acknowledge the error, and provide a simple one click "Fix It" that would solve the problem.
Might need separate "Fix Its" for Win7, Win8, & Win8.1 (don't know).
Currently, I still have the Windows 10 "free upgrade" icon appearing in the Task Bar, even though all of the OP's listed KB updates (if they were installed) have now been uninstalled & hidden.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Edit: the Win10 update icon is run by the GWX.exe file located in the c\Windows\System32\GWX folder. Hopefully by changing the read/write permissions for that folder, the update icon will not re-appear.

The problem is, although this list does contain a lot of the bad Windows 8 Updates, I cannot be 100% sure I didn't miss anything since I use Windows 7. I rely on others that help me in the NBR forum to maintain the Windows 8 list. :(

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Since you're not worried about giving out your data, because hey, what can they do with it? why don't you post your bank account details, phone numbers, house address etc? I'm sure someone will make use of it. :rolleyes:

I was watching some spy type show recently, and a girl was telling someone all these details about his life and he got this wide eyed look and said "How long have you been following me?" She said "We haven't, we just checked your facebook page."

Obviously the same would apply to any social media or email. Anyone with a moderate level of motivation could find out everything about anyone.

But that won't stop the tin foil hat crowd on here from the hand-wringing about MS spying on them. As if Google/Apple/Government doesn't already know everything. Lol. :biggrin:

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I was watching some spy type show recently, and a girl was telling someone all these details about his life and he got this wide eyed look and said "How long have you been following me?" She said "We haven't, we just checked your facebook page."

Obviously the same would apply to any social media or email. Anyone with a moderate level of motivation could find out everything about anyone.

But that won't stop the tin foil hat crowd on here from the hand-wringing about MS spying on them. As if Google/Apple/Government doesn't already know everything. Lol.

Would you be happy using an OS made by Facebook on your PC?

Why be happy about Microsoft doing the same thing then?

cmb110792

Sep 9, 2015
Hey Berryracer,

Thanks again for making this list and updating it all the time. It seems ms has just released a crap ton of updates, and this is the thread I keep coming back to when I want to check if it's a telemetry/analytics/bull crap update. Any tips on how I can check them myself when the knowledge base articles have literally 0 details about the update?

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
According to Dell my laptop can't run Windows 10, however at some point 6 gbs of files are in a folder on my C drive, apparently Windows 10 files ready to be installed.

Looking around the web this apparently happens with Windows 7 if auto updates is on, however I don't have auto updates on and it still happened.