!updated with pics of shop! I'm really pissed off by the way this BMW shop treats customer's BMW's.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Descartes
BMW's don't need to be "warmed up". So, the argument regarding his taking off from a "cold start" is moot. Even the instruction manual frowns on letting your bimmer "warm up". They know this...

If this is an enthusiast's shop, he probably just installed some Dinan mods and was checking them out. I seriously, seriously doubt that they would be so stupid as to do that right in front of the shop.

All engines should be warmed up before use. Motorcycle, car, pickuptruck, I4, V8, rotary, lawnmower, weedwacker, 2-cycle, 4-cycle, and yes.. BMW engines too. :p

Think about it.

kherman

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2002
Originally posted by: NeoPTLD
My usual route to school includes front of some kind of repairshop that specialize in BMW's, but also work on other cars. It's on the little street that goes to my school right off of main road. There is a BMW dealer called Ron Rasmussen just a few blocks up on this main road. I'm assuming a lot of cars this little shop work on comes as subcontract from this dealership. Walking toward the main road from other side, I was able to see a nice BMW pull out of service shop. He slowly turns onto main road and once he was out of sight from the shop, #Vroooom ROAR!!#. He floored a customer's BMW. On cold engine right out of repair shop. The driver looks an employee in his early 20's. This kind of stuff piss me off and I get a shiver down my spine about leaving my car for any kind of repair. You might trust one particular dealership, but you can't predict how a their subcontractor's 20 year old boy treats your car.

Next time I see this, I'm going to make a comment to the manager of that shop. I bet he has no idea. I certainly don't want people treating my car the way this boy did.

Cliffnote: Employees that abuses customer's car while in service are evil!

Inside the shop
The door. This place doesn't have business name printed or anyting
another inside pic of the shop
aerial photo

The shop I'm talking about is the one with a red x on it. For the people who know downtown, this is across the street from Computek PDX, which is also marked. You see all those windshield glass? Dealers often subcontract glass repairs to specialty shops. Glass repair could be replacing cracked windshileds on trade ins or customers car. It's a bad news either way.

My theory on how employees get away with it; First, they go south a little bit on the sidestreet. Take a right. As soon as the car is on the main street, you hear a very noticeable roar. Since he's already out on the main street, his boss won't notice. I'm almost positive these are employees for the reason they always follow the same old procedure when they back out. Back out to sidewalk, honk two or three times, proceed to back out. I'd say its the company policy. I'm guessing they're subcontractor for BMW Rasmussen, because they always head toward them. The dealership is about four city blocks west from this shop.

Kind of off topic, but new cars don't need to be warmed up. That's only older cars. This has beeen true for some time now.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: kherman
My usual route to school includes front of some kind of repairshop that specialize in BMW's, but also work on other cars. It's on the little street that goes to my school right off of main road. There is a BMW dealer called Ron Rasmussen just a few blocks up on this main road. I'm assuming a lot of cars this little shop work on comes as subcontract from this dealership. Walking toward the main road from other side, I was able to see a nice BMW pull out of service shop. He slowly turns onto main road and once he was out of sight from the shop, #Vroooom ROAR!!#. He floored a customer's BMW. On cold engine right out of repair shop. The driver looks an employee in his early 20's. This kind of stuff piss me off and I get a shiver down my spine about leaving my car for any kind of repair. You might trust one particular dealership, but you can't predict how a their subcontractor's 20 year old boy treats your car.

Next time I see this, I'm going to make a comment to the manager of that shop. I bet he has no idea. I certainly don't want people treating my car the way this boy did.

Inside the shop
aerial photo

The shop I'm talking about is the one with a red x on it. For the people who know downtown, this is across the street from Computek PDX, which is also marked. You see all those windshield glass? Dealers often subcontract glass repairs to specialty shops. Glass repair could be replacing cracked windshileds on trade ins or customers car. It's a bad news either way.

My theory on how employees get away with it; First, they go south a little bit on the sidestreet. Take a right. As soon as the car is on the main street, you hear a very noticeable roar. Since he's already out on the main street, his boss won't notice. I'm almost positive these are employees for the reason they always follow the same old procedure when they back out. Back out to sidewalk, honk two or three times, proceed to back out. I'd say its the company policy. I'm guessing they're subcontractor for BMW Rasmussen, because they always head toward them. The dealership is about four city blocks west from this shop.

Kind of off topic, but new cars don't need to be warmed up. That's only older cars. This has beeen true for some time now.

not true. Why else would BMW put red light and buzzer in their M3's if you rev it too high before it has reached operating temps.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: kherman

Inside the shop
aerial photo

I think people are getting confused between needing to warm a car up before you drive off because it has to be warm or it won't go, and warming a car up before driving off because it's good for your engine.

Of course you can drive off when the engine is cold. Your engine will thank you if you let it warm up first though.

The longer the better. I would say at least 30 seconds, but if you can give it a full 5 minutes, that would be the best. Get into a habbit of starting your car a few minutes before your actually ready to leave, that way its warm when you drive off.

Another bonus is you don't have to deal with cold air being blown from your heater. ;)

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
I think people are getting confused between needing to warm a car up before you drive off because it has to be warm or it won't go, and warming a car up before driving off because it's good for your engine.

Of course you can drive off when the engine is cold. Your engine will thank you if you let it warm up first though.
Well said. This was all so much easier when cars were carbbed and if you tried anything stupid with a cold engine, it just stalled. My bike is like that, usually needs 2-3 minutes before it's warm enough to want to run. Modern F.I. eliminates the stalling when cold, but a cold engine is still wearing more than a warm one. Also, even though new BMW's have the rev-limiting feature when cold, it's still not a good idea to run any engine hard when it's cold. It's not so much the RPM that kills it as the load placed on the engine. Flooring the throttle and short-shifting at 2,500-3,000 RPM with a cold engine is no better than redlining a cold engine. Cold engines should not be loaded heavily. Ever wonder why state trucks don't last much longer than 50,000 miles? It's because they are heavily laden all the time, warm engine or not.

ZV

NeoPTLD

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001

It doesn't need to be warmed up to be driven like if it was your vehicle in mild Portland weather. You can start driving away gently a few seconds after firing and this is what most people do.

Just think about it. Would you accelerate your brand new BMW very hard not even thirty seconds after starting?

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
so how do you know it wasn't the driver's car? how do you even know it was a mechanic driving it? how do you know the customer didnt come in complaining of a lack of power and they needed to test that , or that the engine has been idling and it was not in fact a cold engine? you are assuming entirely too many things here.