Updated with pics! Anyone here use a glass chair mat?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Turn in your ATOT membership card! All posters here are supposed to be multi-millionaires, and be able to deadlift 400 pounds after rolling out of bed w/ a supermodel. :p

You are going to bring me to tears! I knew years ago that I wouldn’t measure up to the average ATOT poster. That’s one reason I hung around so long. I just love punishing myself. :p

Reactions: Captante

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I bought the 48x60 Lorell chair mat and got it a couple of days ago. It's really nice! Just curious... is it OK to walk on, or is that a bad idea? I only weigh about 145lbs.

Oh yeah, I didn't realize it was 70lbs. I brought it up my basement steps, then up another flight of stairs to my office by myself. It wasn't terrible, but not much fun either...

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
I bought the 48x60 Lorell chair mat and got it a couple of days ago. It's really nice! Just curious... is it OK to walk on, or is that a bad idea? I only weigh about 145lbs.

Oh yeah, I didn't realize it was 70lbs. I brought it up my basement steps, then up another flight of stairs to my office by myself. It wasn't terrible, but not much fun either...

I was super careful with mine at first, now I just treat it like the rest of the hardwood floor. You can definitely walk on it, just don’t drop metal things on it

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
I was super careful with mine at first, now I just treat it like the rest of the hardwood floor. You can definitely walk on it, just don’t drop metal things on it
Yep I was the same way at first but now I just treat it like it's part of the floor. I absolutely love mine; not sure why I didn't pull the trigger on one years ago instead of wasting money on the plastic ones.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I was going to go with a glass mat but then I was given one of these by a friend as a gift last week:

Staples Bamboo roll-up chair mat (44x52in)

So far it's been great however I do have my doubts about long-term durability ... price was right though!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ajay

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
After replacing my office chair, I finally bought the Lorell small glass chair mat. It is pretty thick! Prices have gone up since this thread was posted, but Overstock dot com sells the small one for $78.50. When I clicked through from Google search, they had some spin the wheel discount that came out to 15% off.

If you don't get that offer, you can still get 15% off by signing up for their emails. So $67 + tax for the 36"x48" mat, which isn't too bad considering inflation. Everywhere else is $90+.

Vitrazza is the "brand name" with the splashy TV ads and they have a useful setup video:

By comparison, Lorell is cheaply packaged IMO (but arrived safely) and didn't have much in the way of documentation. The included bumpers didn't adhere very well (so it's important to clean the surface before application). This mat isn't beveled like the expensive Vitrazza one, so it'd be a little hard to roll up onto the mat while seated. Unless I missed something, both sides of the glass are thus the same. Turns out my hardwood floor isn't perfectly flat, so one edge of the mat flexes a bit. I don't think this'll be an issue but obviously I'm not hopping up and down that edge if I can help it.

Lorell included 8 bumpers, so it's sensible to install 4 at the corners and 4 towards the center (see the video above). I looked on Amazon to see if I could buy a few more pre-cut bumpers, but I couldn't find any. It's some 3M adhesive-backed product; I suspect Lorell buys them by the sheet and has some machine that cuts out 1" circles. One of mine actually fell off and I didn't even notice it until the next day.

The main drawback is you don't really want to move this mat once it's in place. If you move out, chances are you'll have to figure out a responsible way of getting rid of a thick, heavy sheet of glass. :grimacing:

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Turn in your ATOT membership card! All posters here are supposed to be multi-millionaires, and be able to deadlift 400 pounds after rolling out of bed w/ a supermodel. :p
I mean yes, obviously. But lifting a heavy piece of glass isn't so much strength dependent as it is more large and awkward ;)

Reactions: Captante