UPDATED! So this chick backed into my truck at work

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TheKub

Golden Member
Oct 2, 2001
My mother (who's name the truck is under, it's mine, but we got a better deal putting it under her name)

Not sure if anyone else has pointed this out yet, but its your moms car. The name on the title is what matters. YOU cannot sell the car with out HER sig on the title = her car.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I wonder if the insurance company will pay when an uninsured person was driving the car?

I think you might need to go after the owner of the car as well.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Originally posted by: SaoFeng
your mom's car needs some stickers, man!!!!

Haha, no. She wants to put a giant ghost rose on the hood (an outline in a lighter shade a black, just slightly lighter then the car. That, however, crosses the line into "tacky", though.

No new updates on my accident, though. I'm going to talk to her this weekend to see if I can get her to give me $1200 straight-up, otherwise, I'll look up the car owner (have his name and plate number) and go after him.

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Judging from her behavior, your safest bet to guarantee full reimbursement is to report the accident to the police. All you should need is the license plate number of the other vehicle.

Jawo

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
Why didnt you call the cops??? They will ensure that everyone has ALL of the essential information.

Don't take any money and make them pay the full amount. Tell your insurance company what happened and they will sue them to make sure that they can recover the money.

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
UPDATE:
Finally was able to get insurance info out of them, and filed a claim with Geico. They assessed the damage at $654 to repair. I'm going to pull out the dent myself using a suction cup dent puller, buff the paint off, and buy a new tail light. $50, and I pocket the rest. :thumbsup: Now that I think about it, I should've just taken her original offer of $800, but oh well.

Good for you, if you have a lease or a loan on the vehicle then the check would be written out to the bank and they'd pay the repair center directly. If you own it outright then you can get it fixed however you wish (or leave it as-is).

If you bring it to a major repair center and the damage is more than the insurance company estimated they'll just bill the difference back to them. Her insurance should also pay for a rental while your truck is being repaired.

Glad it's being taken care of.

oiprocs

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
Yeah next time, call the police. But at least you got it taken care of. This could have been much worse.

FP

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
That dent looks like it would be hard to pull out with a suction tool.