UPDATED: Running Shoes recommendation (Nike Air Pegasus '02)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: Instan00dles
Nike actually makes decent shoes? I have always been under the impression that they are horrible shoes. I was going to go get some of the new 1221's from the shoe store but unfortunatly they did not have my size in stock (9.5 4E):(

Nike has two seperate lines of shoes. The crap you see at finish line/foot locker/athletes foot/insert mall retailer of choice. And then a higher end line from specialty shops.

I'm a self admitted nike whore. But that's because they work better for me than any other shoe I've worn. And I've worn A LOT of different types of running shoes. When I was in high school and college, I was going throug shoes every 2 months because I was putting about 80 miles a week on my shoes. Nikes were the best fit and offered the best cushioning. They also held up quite well. The Pegasus, Air Max Moto, and Air Max Triax are all excellent shoes.

Asics are another good brand, but they didn't provide the cushioning that nike did. Especially in the forefoot.

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
How can you people justify $138 on shoes unless you are putting like 80 miles on them per day (like I saw someone did) or you have back problems??? It is insane how people will just throw their money out the window like that. You can get a decent pair of shoes for like $50 and they will be 95% as good as $138 ones. You won't even notice the difference after a week (if you ever could tell the difference). On the other hand, I now understand how the average person has 8k in CC debt.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: XZeroII
How can you people justify $138 on shoes unless you are putting like 80 miles on them per day (like I saw someone did) or you have back problems??? It is insane how people will just throw their money out the window like that. You can get a decent pair of shoes for like $50 and they will be 95% as good as $138 ones. You won't even notice the difference after a week (if you ever could tell the difference). On the other hand, I now understand how the average person has 8k in CC debt.

There are some things it's wise to spend money on, and some things unwise.

I spend money where it counts. Keeping my feet happy is one of those areas. I don't agree with spending $140 on shoes because that is largely a marketing scam, but I also don't agree with paying only $50 for shoes either if you are doing it for the sake of saving money.

Bottom line is - your feet are the biggest bearers of weight in your entire body. If they are injured or sore, you can't do any more activitiy until they are healthy or feeling better. If I have to spend $50 more to get a $100 pair of shoes that fit me better and work better, then it's money well spent. Besides, most people only running 20-30 miles a week will have the shoes for 6 months at a minimum. That works out to like $.60 a workout for the $50 shoe and $1.25 a workout for the $100 shoe. Big deal.

Running shoes are not one place to skimp on IMHO unless they are on some kind of clearance, then it's an exception. Like getting an otherwise $90 shoe for $45 or something. But you do get what you pay for, up to a point.

snoopdoug1

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2002

Wait until that $50 dollar pair gets you an injury(bad knees, bad back, etc), and then try a higher end model... trust me, there is a difference. I prefer the Asics Gel Kayano.... Usually about 90 on sale.

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001

if you run a lot (like me), you want decent running shoes. I tried everything, from the cheapest to the most expensive. I have 3 different pairs of Asics for the moment (ranging from 70 euro to 150 euro). I tried Nike, Adidas, ... There is a difference.

Biggs

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2000
Ok, I finally tried the Nike Air Pegasus '02 but have one minor reservation -- my left heel lifts up a little bit when I tried walking in the store. Previously, I got the size 10 Wide but had to return it because I found out that my toes were too cramped in it. The heel area for this size, however, had a more snug fit that I didn't feel both my heels lifting whenever I walk. I then tried a size 10.5 Wide which allowed a better front fit(more room in the toes) but had the problem I previously mentioned. I even took some time in the store to try out this tip from New Balance,

Lacing For A Better Fit

but it didn't improve the problem. Don't get me wrong, both heels have a snug fit overall, except for the minor "slippage" on the left shoe. I don't know exactly how many inches it lifts but let me put it this way, I can somewhat feel the lift as compared to the size 10W which I couldn't(though the trade-off is the cramp toebox).

My question is, how much heel lift is too much? AFAIK, half an inch is the norm, yes? Bottomline, is the Air Pegasus '02 for me then? I'd really like to get this particular model 'cuz I could get it 40% off retail. Many thanks.