UPDATED - now different issue still USB (Asus 690g MB (P2-M2A690G) and Win 7)

Edgy

Sep 21, 2000
This is a Rant and request for help - needless to say, I will NEVER purchase Asus MB again.

Have a Barebone P2-M2A690G which basically has Asus version of AMD 690G MB chipset which I purchased few years back for parents.

Just installed Windows 7 and Asus has no driver support for it (both BB and MB products).

Now I understand Win 7 came out year or two after this chipset but it is more than capable machine even still for vast majority of computing needs today and well able to run Win 7. Maybe it was their business decision, lack of resources (Asus? one of the biggest?), and/or just plain don't give a damn attitude - I will NEVER purchase Asus products again.

What reason might have to I say that?

It's because first 2 MB manufacturers I searched (Gigabyte/MSI) that also sold AMD 690G chipset products have Win 7 32/64bit drivers very available from their site (DOH!).

Asus can go kiss themselves in the place where sun doesn't shine - they will never get my business again.

Now - if anyone can help here's how far I've gotten so far:

1. Installed "legacy" ATI Vista drivers & CCC (need it for HDMI overscan) - confirmed working.

2. Installed Win 7 update optional driver for LAN - not confirmed since PC is connecting via USB g wirelessly.

The ISSUE - cannot find Win 7 (hell at this point even Vista 32bit will do) drivers for USB which is all currently running at 1.1 speeds and not maintaining reliable connection.

I assume this requires SB600 drivers which I cannot find either.

UPDATE:

Tried fresh install + Gigabyte's MB drivers for Win 7 = WORKS!!! (somewhat)

New problem = Wireless G USB (2Wire - Uverse provided) NOT happy with Mygica USB TV Tuner on the same USB root.

Put the tuner on different USB root = happy system BUT don't want to leave the HTPC front port cover open (dust, ugly, etc.,).

Anyone had this issue before with a solution?

btw - MagnusTheBrewer, W7 install is to appease my wonderful parents who wants what their friends have on their machine - Win 7 + MCE. I swear, many aspects of my parents behavior becomes more child-like the older they become...

Last edited:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
When I "upgraded" to Vista a couple of years ago, ASUS didn't have drivers available for my mobo either. I had to track each one down from the manufacturer of the chipset.
LAN, audio, etc. Once you know who made what part, you SHOULD be able to get compatible drivers from their websites...I say SHOULD because not all manufacturers are very helpful with "3rd party" drivers.

Edgy

Sep 21, 2000
USB controller is part of integrated AMD SB600 chip and I could not find specific mfg for the USB controller.

Seferio

Oct 9, 2001
What you might want to do is reinstall Windows 7, but have it connected via ethernet to your network. This will allow Windows to use Windows Update to download additional drivers during install. This is most likely why you do not have all the chipset drivers installed by default.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Just wondering why you wanted to upgrade to Win 7 on an older machine that was presumably working fine?

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
SB drivers are available from AMD's website but it doesn't officially support Win7 on this older SB600 (only Windows Vista).

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
What you might want to do is reinstall Windows 7, but have it connected via ethernet to your network. This will allow Windows to use Windows Update to download additional drivers during install. This is most likely why you do not have all the chipset drivers installed by default.

Try this.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I didn't think you needed USB 1.1 or 2.0 drivers in any modern OS. They are part of the OS's USB stack. At least I've never had to, and I've built quite a few AMD/Via/Intel-chipset rigs.

Edgy

Sep 21, 2000
Fresh install and windows update via wired LAN already tried - numerous times and every time there's progress. Drivers from another 690G chipset MB manufacturer took care of SB600 chipset driver issue and USB wireless works fine now.

Now the issue is USB wireless not happy when USB TV tuner plugged in same USB root (both works fine if plugged in different root USBs). It may be tuner is drawing too much power (dual digital QAM tuner) from single root or IRQ conflict even though it's auto managed by BIOS.

It might even just be Windows 7 - both products work fine in XP plugged into same USB root.

I've seen quite a bit of unresolved reports searching google regarding various USB appliances (especially USB HDD) behaving almost exactly like my USB wireless... Which, btw my Seagate FreeAgent Pro 500G ALSO has problems on this machine w/Win 7 - go figure...

Any thoughts or advice are appreciated.

thx.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Did you grab the latest BIOS? You'll might need to use the BIOS updates specific to the barebones system, as the motherboard may NOT be the same as the ASUS retail 690G boards. Even the retail ASUS 690G boards (M2A-VM/HDMI) were plagued by issues, mostly due to the buggy SB600 and AMD's lack-luster driver quality. e.g. there were 18+ BIOS updates for the M2A-VM/HDMI

Edgy

Sep 21, 2000
Yup - BIOS was properly updated based on correct barebone BIOS from Asus site.

No difference - except there was 1 additional BIOS option with the new set which had nothing to do with this issue but hangs the system - go figure...