Updated: iPad 3 owners: Wifi & 3G problems?

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
http://9to5mac.com/2012/04/04/apple...es-tells-applecare-to-replace-affected-units/

According to an internal AppleCare document, Apple is actively investigating a series of WiFi-related issues affecting the third-generation iPad. Since the new iPad’s launch, many users have been complaining about third-generation iPad WiFi issues ranging from connection drops, slow download and upload speeds, or the device’s inability to even pickup local WiFi networks. A thread discussing the issue exists on Apple’s online support forums has almost amassed 700 replies from users with similar issues. Here are some examples from the forum thread:

Besides the supposed third-generation iPad charging and overheating issues, the iPad WiFi issues were noted by the media during the past couple of weeks. Apple has taken notice and has admitted internally to some new iPad models having the WiFi issues described in numerous reports and on forum threads. The company says “symptoms can include, but are not limited to: intermittent connectivity, slow WiFi speeds, and WiFi network not seen.” Apple tells AppleCare employees to ensure that devices they test are not facing these issues due to normal software bugs, but instead because of the actual hardware components.

WiFi-only third-generation iPads are the only devices affected by these issues, according to Apple. The 4G LTE models are presumably safe from these issues due to the extra network power allowed by the black rubber cut on the top of the unit.

iPads that are affected by WiFi issues are supposed to be “Captured.” According to one source, “Captured” is code for the device to be immediately packed up and shipped to Apple’s engineering centers for examination and investigation. Apple employees are instructed to Capture the iPad itself and included accessories (the charging adapter and USB cord). Apple will replace affected units.

Seems like a lot of companies have problems building devices with stable WiFi. WiFi's been around for a while, and RF is pretty well understood. Makes me scratch my head that so many companies seem to have problems with it.

Last edited:

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Hell, going from an Asus Transformer to an iPad 2, I noticed more issues with connecting to my work wifi.

MrX8503

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2005
I think a lot of manufacturers are having issues with wireless signals is because the devices are all metal. Apple learned it the hardway and certainly did Asus.

I wonder if the cellular versions don't have wifi issues since it has a bigger plastic area. My iPad3 seems to be ok. There have been times where my iPad signal drops, but I cant determine if that's the iPad or my router.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
My bro says his is fine but he has a small place so he's usually never too far from his router.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
None here. I can pull signals from two stories and almost 60 linear feet away from my router.

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002

BabaBooey

Lifer
Jan 21, 2001
I have a verizon 4G and the wifi is rock solid,better than my IP2 had.

Have not tried the 4G yet.

Feb 19, 2001
Have you ever noticed that the biggest complaints about these products are wifi issues? People have their routers improperly set or something.

Super56K

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2004
I have not had issues on wifi with mine, be it at home or at work. The one time I thought I did it actually was my router, and I couldn't browse the web on anything until I power cycled it.