UPDATED: good questions to ask senior managers?

skim milk

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2003
I passed my first phone screen with the HR and now I have to face two very high position people in the company of ~100 people (one is the VP of the dept that I'll be placed in)

I shouldn't ask the same questions as before right?

During the phone screen, I asked why this position has recently become open, asked about the day-to-day responsiblities, and why he likes working there, etc.

I'm intimidated of getting put on the conference call with senior managers so I need some general advice for phone interviews

I already have a cheat sheet, my resume in front, details of the company

Interview is in two hours

update:

the interview went horrible. I really wanted this position too
The two people who were supposed to be calling me (I did research into their background) ended up being two other people.. so that threw me off from the beginning. I think I had too many things laid out in front of me which worked great the first time but this time it really screwed me up. They rushed me through the whole thing, I'd ask questions and they only gave me a one line answer so it felt like I was trying to hold on from ending. I guess I lost their interest within the first minute? if that's even possible.
pretty bummed

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
if I am extremely successful in this position, what will I have accomplished in 6 months and a year?

That's my best A+ interview question

skim milk

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2003
Originally posted by: Mwilding
if I am extremely successful in this position, what will I have accomplished in 6 months and a year?

:thumbsup:
I like that one

skim milk

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2003
should I ask this

"How will my performance be evaluated?"

or could it sound as if I want to slack through the job? (not the case at all)

Jmman

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
Going through the same thing myself. I went to an interview yesterday which turned out to actually be 4 interviews, with senior people, directors, and HR. I am sure they are going to offer me the job so I cancelled a phone interview I was supposed to have today with two VPS and the CTO at another organization . Job hunting is just not that fun. Too much stress......:frown:

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: fritolays
should I ask this

"How will my performance be evaluated?"

or could it sound as if I want to slack through the job? (not the case at all)

fine question. goes well with ones about specific goals and expected deliverables.

rasczak

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: Jmman
Going through the same thing myself. I went to an interview yesterday which turned out to actually be 4 interviews, with senior people, directors, and HR. I am sure they are going to offer me the job so I cancelled a phone interview I was supposed to have today with two VPS and the CTO at another organization . Job hunting is just not that fun. Too much stress......:frown:

think this was a mistake. you should never assume you got the job. I would have gone through the phone interview anyway and see what they have to offer then weigh my options. you could use the other offer to counter offer as well(if you don't mind that sort of thing. )

my.02

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
Originally posted by: rasczak

think this was a mistake. you should never assume you got the job. I would have gone through the phone interview anyway and see what they have to offer then weigh my options. you could use the other offer to counter offer as well(if you don't mind that sort of thing. )

my.02

I interview best when I do not need the job.

If you are anything like me, you probably would have nailed the second interview and would have been able to play the two offers off each other.

MotionMan

Jmman

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
Originally posted by: rasczak

my.02

Well, there is some truth to that. I am really good at interviews though. In fact I have never had a physical interview and not been offered the job, so I doubt my streak will end with this company. They already know that I have other offers on the table also, so I really don't need any more leverage.....

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Mwilding

If my boss's wife doesn't get pregnant with a kid that looks like me, job statisfaction.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
During your second interview, you might want to ask them if there are any plans to outsource your position in the near future.

Sounds silly, but it actually happened to me once. They signed the outsourcing deal the week before I started!

JJChicken

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2007
Ask what sort of career progression is available and say that you seek to develop your team leadership abilities while working etc