Updated: Formula 1 all seasons thread!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
US, Mexican, Brazilian and Canadian (??) Grand Prix are cancelled. I don't understand why F1 cancelled the Canadian GP.

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
US, Mexican, Brazilian and Canadian (??) Grand Prix are cancelled. I don't understand why F1 cancelled the Canadian GP.

F1 doesn't want to come to this part of the world considering that Covid-19 is running amuk in the US & Brazil. Canada being our neighbor unfortunately has to suffer because of inept leadership. :(

_Rick_

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
And we have the first SARS-CoV2 infection among the drivers - looks like for the first time in a long while, a reserve driver will get to run a week-end.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
And we have the first SARS-CoV2 infection among the drivers - looks like for the first time in a long while, a reserve driver will get to run a week-end.

I saw that. Racing Point's Sergio Perez has tested positive for Covid-19. Hope he pulls through okay and that nobody else in the garage has been affected.

Reactions: Bubbleawsome

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Hamilton's 91 pole position, a new track record (1.24.303) & most home pole positions (7th) to boot! :beercheers:

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Hamilton's 91 pole position, a new track record (1.24.303) & most home pole positions (7th) to boot! :beercheers:
Mercedes is so far ahead this season it's nutz. Good for Hamilton, but not the rest of the field. I so want four or five teams getting serious points, but it's just not happening.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Mercedes is so far ahead this season it's nutz. Good for Hamilton, but not the rest of the field. I so want four or five teams getting serious points, but it's just not happening.

I guess the stewards could go back to letting Ferrari cheat. I’m continually amazed that Ferrari just cannot keep up with MB in development. Sad, really

And it really looks like Ham will have another championship as will MB for constructors.

But I’m not upset nor outraged by this. F1 has repeatedly had a dominant team that runs the table for years. Usually ends whe wither rules get changed dramatically or the band breaks up.

Right now, I’ll just marvel at Hamilton and his mastery of his car. Damn he’s good.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Right now, I’ll just marvel at Hamilton and his mastery of his car. Damn he’s good.
Yeah, he just makes so few mistakes and gets so much out of his tire (while continually saying he has tire issues, lol). I really hoped Honda would have stepped it up this year for Max, he's doing well with what he has.
Ferrari, with all the financial perks they get, should be doing better. Whatever the F1 required, it nerfed their engine so badly that couldn't make up for in time. It's like when Williams so tweaked out their car with traction control, etc.; that when that had to drop all that stuff next years car sucked.

Reactions: Meghan54

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Hamilton’s 87th career win, 53rd victory from pole position & crosses the finish line w/ a punctured/delaminated tire! :openmouth: :beercheers:

Edit: First F1 driver to win home GP 7 times! :beercheers:

Last edited:

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Hamilton’s 87th career win, 53rd victory from pole position & crosses the finish line w/ a punctured/delaminated tire! :openmouth: :beercheers:

Edit: First F1 driver to win home GP 7 times! :beercheers:
He's lucky it punctured. If it delaminated it could have been a disaster; flapping around tearing up the front wing and tossing parts all about. Geez, between skill and luck Hamilton seems to almost always pull through somehow.
I yelled at Red Bull to keep Max out given that Bottas had just lost a tire, even after slowing down quite a bit; but they didn't listen, :p.

Other than that, having no one who can really contend with MB, it looks pretty boring for the championship and constructors. Ferrari's saying they won't be back competing for wins till 2022!

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
He's lucky it punctured. If it delaminated it could have been a disaster; flapping around tearing up the front wing and tossing parts all about. Geez, between skill and luck Hamilton seems to almost always pull through somehow.
I yelled at Red Bull to keep Max out given that Bottas had just lost a tire, even after slowing down quite a bit; but they didn't listen, :p.

Other than that, having no one who can really contend with MB, it looks pretty boring for the championship and constructors. Ferrari's saying they won't be back competing for wins till 2022!

I honestly don't know what was holding the tire together, it's looked like strings for a sidewall! :astonished:

Red Bull got greedy going for the fastest lap IMO, if they stayed out Max would have won the GP, considering after the stop he finished about 5-6 second behind Hamilton.

_Rick_

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
Well, RB were looking on getting the most points, and Hamilton had 10 seconds or so of a lead, so under normal conditions was unassailable.
Punctures are reasonably rare, they just came off of P3 and lucked into P2 - so going for the fresh tire was the safe approach to get an extra point.
Hoping not to have the puncture themselves, but expecting it on Hamilton - that would have been a bit insane.

And they still almost got him, Hamilton's tire just deflated about 2 corners too late.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Well, RB were looking on getting the most points, and Hamilton had 10 seconds or so of a lead, so under normal conditions was unassailable.
Punctures are reasonably rare, they just came off of P3 and lucked into P2 - so going for the fresh tire was the safe approach to get an extra point.
Hoping not to have the puncture themselves, but expecting it on Hamilton - that would have been a bit insane.

And they still almost got him, Hamilton's tire just deflated about 2 corners too late.
I'd rather RB rolled the dice on the odd chance they get a win. Playing it safe is too boring for a team with an aggressive past and an aggressive driver, IMHO. Have they just given up?

_Rick_

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
I'd rather RB rolled the dice on the odd chance they get a win. Playing it safe is too boring for a team with an aggressive past and an aggressive driver, IMHO. Have they just given up?
Arguably they did that, by going for the fastest lap, which was already risky, due to the inherent risks of a pit stop, and the risk of doing a more-committed-than-usual lap.
At the time Max pitted, to me it looked like continuing would end in one point less on the board. So I would have made the same call.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
At the time Max pitted, to me it looked like continuing would end in one point less on the board. So I would have made the same call.
Once Bottas flatted in spectacular fashion, even after slowing down; I saw Hamilton as being in a very risky position, given that he didn't slow down and his front tires looked pretty much done.

But, I'm not a highly paid F1 strategist, just a guy on a the couch yelling at the TV. I had nothing to lose.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Comes down to woulda, coulda, shoulda...or hindsight’s 20/20.

Simply a case of it is what it is.

What amazed me is Ham doing 135 mph (240 Km/h per MB tweet) down Hanger Straight on 3 functioning tires/wheels.

I don’t think I’ve ever driven 135 mph...maybe. I did hit 100 mph on a bike just to see what it was like...uncomfortable.
I’ve been watching F1 for a darned long time...mid-60’s. Hamilton’s as good as anyone I’ve ever seen...maybe Jim Clark.
I’m just thankful that I’m getting the opportunity to witness a driver who will go down in history as one of the greats.
And, damn, Ferrari really must have been pulling some very shady shenanigans to have regressed so much in power vs everyone else seeming to progress. And Vettel almost seems to be abandoned by Ferrari...unofficially.
Kinda funny about Racing Point’s “punishment” for the brake ducts. Some money, points, and “Oh, yes...of course you can use the part the rest of the year.” C’est la vie.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Kinda funny about Racing Point’s “punishment” for the brake ducts. Some money, points, and “Oh, yes...of course you can use the part the rest of the year.” C’est la vie.
I think F1 did that just to assuage the other teams. 'See, we punished them, now go away'.

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Bottas takes pole for the 70th Anniversary GP, Hamilton is P2, another 1-2 Mercedes front row lockout! :beercheers:

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Verstappen wins the 70th Anniversary GP, Hamilton P2, Bottas P3 (unless there is a time penalty for Hamilton during his last pit stop). :beercheers:

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Great win for RB & Verstappen; nice to see Max pushing back on the engineers and just go and race! Albon showed some real promise today, hope he can keep progressing. Geez, Mercedes really have a serious tire problem.
And...Ferrari, good call one stopping Leclerc, but damn, their car is shit this year.

_Rick_

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
Verstappen wins the 70th Anniversary GP, Hamilton P2, Bottas P3 (unless there is a time penalty for Hamilton during his last pit stop). :beercheers:

Looks like Hamilton got lucky again, with that pit stop entry. Certainly didn't look all too controlled, and he had to check in three times with his team, to check if he had to push open the gap to Bottas more...

Max did a very nice job, especially when it came to making the middle stint on the softer tire work.

Hopefully the Hulk's performance opened some doors for him - if Gene Haas finds some money under the bed, I would hate to see him toil at the back, but I'd love to see him race.
In my dreams, Red Bull drop Kvyat, send Albon back to the junior team, and get Hulk as the second driver to Max. I think that would be the perfect role for him, and every race would be exciting, because he could get that podium this time! Sorry, Daniil!

Also: Ocon needs to start performing as well. Sure he's a semi-rookie, but he has no pace in that Renault, which after 5 races, is a bit disappointing. And we know how sane Abiteboul is (hint: not really.)

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Red Bull drop Kvyat, send Albon back to the junior team, and get Hulk as the second driver to Max
Hadn't thought about that. Albon is getting racier, but looking at Max's performance, ugh. Seems like RB are 100% behind Albon right now; and I've read they are spending more time with to improve his performance.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Great race and a fantastic result for Verstappen! Very happy to see him fighting the Mercedes drivers for the win.