Updated: Dead Air for Left 4 Dead 2 release date announced

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I haven't finished Cold Stream yet, but me and and a friend were playing it the other night and I absolutely loved the part with the flooding water down that one staircase.

Holy cow, that was my favorite part too. Not just because the water added an extra level of difficulty, but because of the atmosphere of it. I don't know how to describe it... being in the forest, going underground through a municipal waterway, walking down a flooded staircase and hearing a siren somewhere off in the distance. It was eerie, almost like something out of STALKER.

You just have to play it to know what I'm talking about.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Played Cold Stream last night. Pretty good campaign, I didn't survive it though. :( Scumbag teammate left everyone behind in the final stage, we were either pinned down or dead and he just got right onto the rescue chopper and flew away. Feels bad man.

Stick to the code... fall behind, left behind :twisted:

BlueAcolyte

Platinum Member
Nov 19, 2007
Played Cold Stream last night. Pretty good campaign, I didn't survive it though. :( Scumbag teammate left everyone behind in the final stage, we were either pinned down or dead and he just got right onto the rescue chopper and flew away. Feels bad man.

Honestly it's probably a good thing he rushed to the chopper, otherwise you might not have finished the campaign at all. I can feel ya though - first two times through I didn't complete. The second time I got incapped right on the chopper door because I was helping someone get up (Damn buggy cliff hanging system).

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
That's the thing about this campaign's finale though, you have to keep moving, there's almost no exceptions. If you hunker down anywhere too long to fight off infected you're likely going to struggle if not get raped because the hoard is never ending and thus you'll either take enough chip damage from never ending common infected to make the run to the finish impossible and/or run out of ammo.

However they have made it a helluva lot easier with newer revisions. Older versions had you running a lot longer through stream valleys all the way to the rescue chopper (which was in the middle of the woods instead of a CEDA zone), thus greatly extending the gauntlet you had to run, making running without stopping even more imperative.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I beat Cold Stream once but it must have been before there was an achievement for doing so.

I played it with 3 friends and we're not total noobs but the first time or two we didn't make it. Once we realized we had to keep moving it wasn't too bad. I don't like melee weapons but for something like that I definitely went with one.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
The left 4 dead developers posted a twitter update, it look like dead air is on schedule to be released on friday.

Next week it looks like there is going to be a big update released to the finale of darl carnival as well.

Posted 1 hour ago

http://twitter.com/#!/l4ddev

Testing late last night revealed some issues. Fixed and back to testing after lunch - Dead Air is looking good for tomorrow.

Dark Carnival changes will come next week. This weekend play some Dead Air and give us feedback on the changes.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Another update from the left 4 dead team

Dead Air is set for release tomorrow morning at 10am PST. We are trying an experiment in the Scavenge map - let us know what you think.

Meaning, Dead Air is going to be released friday at noon central time

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Awesome. I haven't played this campaign for a while. I remember the plane crash at the end being particularly awesome. I'll have to fire it up tonight now that it's been revamped for L4D2. :thumbsup:

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Played it this morning. Map is ok; I think I may have tried it once in L4D, but did not remember much of it. It's better than Dead Center, but it's no Parish.

KT

shurato

Platinum Member
Sep 24, 2000
Played Dead Air on advanced and breezed through it on my first go round. Love these L4D1 maps and the suspense of the tighter / dark quarters.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
There seem to be several sort of cheat spots in the final map....hopefully they'll tweak that some. Honestly, we died the most on the final panic sprint in map 4. If you don't have some pipe bomb or bile bombs to clear a path it goes bad in a hurry. If we got to the finale we were fine.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Tried it out over the weekend. Very nice. I'm hoping for some new content (maps) though with the old characters in single play.