UPDATED***CPU arrived damaged from NewEgg, what do I do?

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
UPDATE: NewEgg contacted me today and gave me the benifit of the doubt on this issue. I very much appreciated their contacting me personally and taking the time to make a customer happy. I have never had anything but positive experiences and this is just another example of their going the extra mile to make things right. Thanks NewEgg!

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
sue them in small claims court for breech of implied warranty

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Can Intel replace it under their warranty? Do they even have a warranty?

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
If it's physical damage and they sent it that way, then jsut return it. heh. And dispute the charge on your credit card

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
They suggested intel, but I dont think it even has a warranty from them and somehow I doubt intel would be any more likely to help me than newegg (in fact, I bet they would be less help). Should this be covered by FedEX???

Gurck

Banned
Mar 16, 2004
Wow, that's very not like newegg... maybe try calling back, see if you get someone else in the CS department? Could have just been someone having a bad day...

Kibbo

Platinum Member
Jul 13, 2004
Did you insure the shipping? If so, that might be the best way to go.

mcvickj

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2001
Keep calling back until you find the person who will give you the answer your looking for.

crystal

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 1999
Call up your CC and dispute the charge. Or maybe your CC has some kind of damage protection.

Jun 19, 2004
Bummer man. That doesn't sound like Newegg, but I also thought there is no warranty (or an extremely limited one) on refurb merchandise????

I'd call them and keep complaining until it gets resolved.

Above all be nice and respectful and you should get what you want.

Also, was it insured? If so contact Fed Ex immediately and file a claim. Heck I'd do that if you got the insurance or not, just to have it on record.

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
I bought w/ my check card, dunno what recourse I have. I assumed that FedEX had insurance by defult. I know that UPS insures up to $100 w/o any extra cost. If I could just recoupe part of the cost I would be happy.

oogabooga

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2003
if the pin is still in the foam and take pictures ASAP! clean off all the thermal paste, take pictures of the cpu top information as well, and send an email with the information to newegg requesting them to clain insurance with fedex or to issue you a full refund regardless. You shouldn't be taking a hit on this. Since it's a refurb, they'll probally give you a newchip instead of a refund, but even that, that's better than having a dead chip you can't use.

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
I already sent it back, so there is nothing to take a picture of :(

I sent them an email and I am hoping something will be done.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Request that Newegg return the unit, packing materials and all.
Right now you are out the money and chip. They owe you back something.

As others have also said, try to get ahold of a different CSR.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: dmw16
Ok, so two weeks ago now I bought a P4 3.0C from NewEgg refurb. I got it and was very excited to try overclocking it. Put a layer of thermal grease and went to put it into the board...it wont fit...hmm...so I flip the chip over and one pin is bent and another is broken. Found it later still stuck in the foam. So within two hours of getting the CPU I called NewEgg and clearly explained the situation very clearly. They issued me an RMA and I had it sent out via FedEX back to them that same day. It arrived and they inspected it and sent me an email saying it is physical damage is not covered by their warranty and it won't be replaced. So now I'm out $185 and they havent even sent me my broken CPU...maybe it would make a nice $185 key chain :)

So what do you guys think I can do (if anything)? Up until now NewEgg has never done anything but totally impress me. I sent them an email hoping to get them to reconsider or at least offer some assistance, but we shall see. Thanks.

How do you refurbish a CPU??? :confused:

Cable God

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2000
That's why I *NEVER* use a check card except for gas, etc. If it was a CC company, especially Amex, they'd do a chargeback IMMEDIATELY.

Danman

Lifer
Nov 9, 1999
Originally posted by: amdskip
Keep us updated. I'm sure newegg will get it right, just a CSR lacking skills.

Yep, I had this problem once. After I was done with the first CSR, called back and they RMA'd my board I needed to replace.

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
I will keep you updated. I sent an email and I will give it a day to filter through. ACtually I will probably call friday since I need to study all day tomorrow.

cerebusPu

Diamond Member
May 27, 2000
did it come like that? that means you didnt break it yoruself...and they should be able to RMA it.

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
Just an update:
Spoke w/ NewEgg and they are doing nothing for me. Said my warranty is voided. They said I can contact FedEx, but they don't think there is any insurance on FedEx packages. They are returning the broken CPU to me along w/ pictures taken of the damage. I guess I can try FedEx, but I think it will probably turn up nothing. Looks like im out $185 and have lost a little faith in NewEgg.

EDIT: I guess I should have realized I was taking a risk buying refurb, but it shouldn't come broken. I guess Im a little extra pissed cuz I explained EXACTLY what happened on the phone and the guy said to send it. I wish he had just told me that physical damage = Im screwed and saved me the $8 shipping back to them. Talk about adding insult to injury.