***UPDATED COUNT***DEATH TOLL IN FRANCE RISES! Time for Regime Change? ***Nearly 15,000***

Jan 12, 2003
[update] France heat wave deaths top 14,000

Given that Jacques and his Health Minister were on vacation in Canada when the heat wave in France started, and given the fact they didn?t curtail that so-called vacation when the death toll started rising, do you think it?s time for regime change in France?

Had these two ?leaders? returned to their country and led, like leaders are supposed to do, and had they of reacted to this disaster sooner, the death count would not be where it today? 3600% more deaths in France from heat than the U.S. lost in Iraq removing a brutal dictator. This is a tragedy. France lost thousands of citizens while the leader of their nation went on vacation to get away from the heat. Chirac makes me sick.

[/quote]

UPDATE:
11,435 and rising

"However, officials at the French funeral directors association put the toll at about 13,000 deaths Friday. "

"Many bodies remain unclaimed and have been buried in pauper's graves by the authorities as a temporary measure.

povertystruck

Aug 19, 2003
Uh isnt it obvious, wave his magical wand, fill up the water resevoirs, create cold fusion to power all the air conditioners, and make more cloudy rainy days(zaap).

jahawkin

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2000
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
Originally posted by: jahawkin
And what was Chirac supposed to do about the situation??

What's Bush supposed to do about the economy?

Alot more than what can be done about the weather...

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

IF only a $10 trillion economy could turn on a dime.

Dec 27, 2001

AC. Problem fixed. Must have been to costly for the Chirac regime to give out AC. I guess they value money over human lives!

jahawkin

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2000
What an asinine argument.....We can debate how much effect a leader can have on an economy for years, but, seriously, WTF do you want Chirac to do?? JohnGalt, an answer?? perhaps?? Or are you just going to keep posting this crap all day??

Jan 12, 2003
I bet he had AC in Canada...selfish bastard. ~ 270 deaths vs. 10,000? I can't believe the U.N. allows these atrocities and crimes against humanity to continue.

povertystruck

Aug 19, 2003
I thought the water shortages across France meant that power was at a low, because I heard on the t.v. that france is 80% nuclear dependent(maybe im wrong). Nuclear reators depend on water to keep them cool(i heard that maybe im wrong). The heat in France supposedly had not been so hot in 50 years, others said 30 years. Can you blame him for the weather?

You can blame him for nuclear energy.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: xxxxxJohnGaltxxxxx
Given that Jacques and his Health Minister were on vacation in Canada when the heat wave in France started, and given the fact they didn?t curtail that so-called vacation when the death toll started rising, do you think it?s time for regime change in France?
I think it's time for you to change your meds.

amok

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
AC. Problem fixed. Must have been to costly for the Chirac regime to give out AC. I guess they value money over human lives!
I hope you were being sarcastic.

Jan 12, 2003
What an asinine argument.....We can debate how much effect a leader can have on an economy for years, but, seriously, WTF do you want Chirac to do?? JohnGalt, an answer?? perhaps?? Or are you just going to keep posting this crap all day??

1.) Seek a temporary suspension of the 35 hour/week law for healthcare workers.
2.) Ask his neighboring countries to help out by providing volunteers to look after the elderly
3.) Import as much ice and industrial AC units as possible, then set up ?cooling points? for those who are on
the verge of death
4.) Import water and have distribution points setup throughout major residential areas

I could think of a lot more, but then again, I don?t have to?I am not running the country; and it appears no one is at the moment.

Is Chirac even back in France yet, or ?is the heat too much for him? right now?

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Keep Dr. Moonbeam from doing his Iranian Heat Dance and things will cool down.

amok

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
2.) Ask his neighboring countries to help out by providing volunteers to look after the elderly
3.) Import as much ice and industrial AC units as possible, then set up ?cooling points? for those who are on
the verge of death
4.) Import water and have distribution points setup throughout major residential areas
While this is most definitely a tragedy, I would like you to consider a few things. I think I remember seeing a post from you not too long ago that indicated you were involved in some form of analytical work, so logistical problems shouldn't be a big mystery for you. Governments move slowly, they can't help it. The best solutions in a case like this is for grassroots action. Yes, it comes out of your pockets and not those of the government, but it can be accomplished more quickly and with a better focus on each community. Lobby afterward for government reimbursement if possible. Instead of worrying about someone swooping in and taking care of everybody, rally people to help take care of themselves.

IF only a $10 trillion economy could turn on a dime.
Hehe, sometimes the truth hurts ;).

jahawkin

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2000

the verge of death

I could think of a lot more, but then again, I don?t have to?I am not running the country; and it appears no one is at the moment.

#1 has been done link
and Chirac has been in France since yesterday.
Do you think Clinton or Richard Daley or Jim Edgar are responsible for the deaths of hundreds in Chicago in the mid-90's due to heat??

Jan 12, 2003

the verge of death

#1 has been done link
and Chirac has been in France since yesterday.
Do you think Clinton or Richard Daley or Jim Edgar are responsible for the deaths of hundreds in Chicago in the mid-90's due to heat??

I thought we lost about 700 people, correct? And though I am not found of Clinton, I am sure he had a hand in the strategic planning to mitigate the loss of more lives?sure he offered any federal assets they needed to handle the situation. Perhaps I am wrong, though? perhaps he flew to Russia when it got hot back in 1995.

Do a goggle search (research, I think you people call it) and troll some 1995 Chicago death data and the way in which we handled it.

I guess 10,000 people are a drop in the bucket to some of you. I, for one, value human life and believe that the failure to act, even if just offering to take 10 elderly people into your palace, is a crime against humanity. Chirac should hang from the Eiffel Tower.

HombrePequeno

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001

Surrounding countries didn't have near as many deaths as France.

A big problem in France is that the doctors there take a month vacation and a lot of hospitals pretty much close up shop.

More people than Chirac are to blame for all the heat related deaths in France.

jahawkin

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2000

I thought we lost about 700 people, correct? And though I am not found of Clinton, I am sure he had a hand in the strategic planning to mitigate the loss of more lives?sure he offered any federal assets they needed to handle the situation. Perhaps I am wrong, though? perhaps he flew to Russia when it got hot back in 1995.

Do a goggle search (research, I think you people call it) and troll some 1995 Chicago death data and the way in which we handled it.

I guess 10,000 people are a drop in the bucket to some of you. I, for one, value human life and believe that the failure to act, even if just offering to take 10 elderly people into your palace, is a crime against humanity. Chirac should hang from the Eiffel Tower.

How has Chirac not offered any federal assets to handle the situation??
And in Chicago '95, not much was done by the gov. to fix the situation, but then again, WTF could they do? The media and city officials urged people to stay cool, use fans, go to public places that have AC, but other than that, there wasn't much they could do.
So how is Chirac responsible for these deaths??

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002

Had these two ?leaders? returned to their country and led, like leaders are supposed to do, and had they of reacted to this disaster sooner, the death count would not be where it today? 3600% more deaths in France from heat than the U.S. lost in Iraq removing a brutal dictator. This is a tragedy. France lost thousands of citizens while the leader of their nation went on vacation to get away from the heat. Chirac makes me sick.

Maybe you should leave the French judge their own presidant and decide what they want to do with him.....oh I forgot you and your Bush Admin love to go around and tell other country if their presidant is unfit for their people.

And don't forget to include the 6000+ Iraqi civilian and much more unaccouted for military Iraqi death American caused in your "lost in removing brutal dictator" count, well I guess to you they are not human being.

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003
I rather not join John Galt and his french hatefest here. In fact, I rather not trivialize the deaths of 10,000 people by politicalizing it. It was a real tragic incident.

But I will say that Chirac didn't fast enough act in the best interests of his people, he was slow to respond and he has been trying to hide from the political fallout. Hes not been handling the situation well at all.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
the verge of death
4.) Import water and have distribution points setup throughout major residential areas.

I really hate to use such terms but . . . dude . . . you are an idiot or at best ignorant.

1) Suspending the 35hr work week is a response to a human catastrophe . . . akin to calling in all the ER doctors when there's a pileup on the Interstate. DOA is a fact of life.
2) Silly me . . . I would say that responsibility lies with . . . I don't know . . . these people's CHILDREN!
3) See #1 . . . people on the verge of death (particularly the elderly and otherwise ill) typically keep going regardless of intervention.
4) So when it's oppressively hot outside you want Great Grand Ma to chasse down the block to pick up her water?! Why on Earth would the land of Perrier and Evian import water?

amok

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Maybe you should leave the French judge their own presidant and decide what they want to do with him.....oh I forgot you and your Bush Admin love to go around and tell other country if their presidant is unfit for their people.
Ugh, wondered when this one was going to come around.