UPDATED Buying a used car with no insurance and no plates?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
He just said a 'release' will be faxed within 48 hrs. I would think that means they aren't getting a new title since the lein was paid off.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
He just said a 'release' will be faxed within 48 hrs. I would think that means they aren't getting a new title since the lein was paid off.

If he does not have a clear title with a clear chain of ownership, he cannot sell you the car. It's as simple as that.

There is no "release" that will allow him to sell you the car. He can't forge the title, apparently, so he's going to make a bogus document to scam you with instead.

You are wasting your time, but at this point, we've given you numerous explanations about why this is not legal. It's near the point, and I hate to say this, that when you get scammed, you won't really be deserving of any sympathy.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
When you get the release, ensure that it has the loan number on it.

Call JPM and verify that the vehicle is paid off.
You need to get the person that JPM releases the vehicle lien on, to sign over the title to you.

If the person is not readily available to you; then get a notarized bill of sale sent to you by them with a copy of the release.

You need to ensure that you have a documented chain of custody from the lien holder (JPM) through the PO to you to show your local DMV. By you contacting JPM, you can satisfy yourself that JPM paperwork is legit.

Sep 7, 2009
When you get the release, ensure that it has the loan number on it.

Call JPM and verify that the vehicle is paid off.
You need to get the person that JPM releases the vehicle lien on, to sign over the title to you.

If the person is not readily available to you; then get a notarized bill of sale sent to you by them with a copy of the release.

You need to ensure that you have a documented chain of custody from the lien holder (JPM) through the PO to you to show your local DMV. By you contacting JPM, you can satisfy yourself that JPM paperwork is legit.

I would be surprised if the bank did any of this. He is not on the loan, and not on the title. He's basically a random guy off the street asking for notarized bills of sale etc etc etc.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
The bank only has to verify that the release is real. If he explains the situation to the auto loan section at JPM; he should be able to just get a yes/no that it is cleared. That is all he needs to ensure that the paper trail has a legit starting point.

Without the starting point; a false document can start a trail that is considered to be legit.

Last edited:

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Apparently the PO signed the back of the title and left the buyer part blank. According to this http://www.nj.gov/mvc/Vehicle/TransferringVehicle.htm, I can't tell if this is legal or not.

What part of the word "must" are you having a problem with?

If you sold or bought a vehicle
The Seller must:
- Remove the plates and surrender them to any MVC Agency or Regional Service Center, unless the plates are being transferred to another vehicle (plates can be transferred to another vehicle but not to another owner)
- Sign the reverse side of the title and give it to the buyer, with:
Buyer's name and address
Date of sale
Mileage odometer reading (see below)
Sale price
- To avoid a $25 penalty, all titles must be transferred within 10 working days from the date of sale

The Buyer must:
- Sign the back of the title and insert his or her driver license or corpcode number
- Visit an MVC Agency to transfer title, complete registration and receive your plates:
- Bring the signed title, proof of insurance and sales tax payment (see Vehicles exempt from sales tax)
- Pay $60 (or $85 fee for a financed vehicle)

Repeated here:
http://www.dmv.org/nj-new-jersey/title-transfers.php

http://www.dmv.org/nj-new-jersey/bill-of-sale.php
When you sell a vehicle in New Jersey, you will need to comply with all the Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) title transfer requirements in order for the transaction to be valid.

The title has not been transferred to the seller. You need to deal with the real owner. (Stop calling him "PO" because he's not the previous owner, he's the "CO" -- current owner.)

Oh, and this "random guy selling the car" is saying that he took the car by mechanic's lien? Where is it? It should be showing up alongside "JP Morgan".

So:
1, This guy lied to you about the circumstances surrounding his acquisition of the car.
2. The requirements of a sale were never met, so it was never sold to him.
3. The state of New Jersey does not recognize that he holds the title or has paid any tax on any sale.

...and yet you're all primed and eager to hand:

$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100 +
$100

...to him?

That's a lot of Benjamins to let walk away in return for nothing but a random dude's signature on someone else's title.

Last edited:

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Also a mechanic's lien will not trump a JPM lien. Both are considered to be valid liens and must be clears for a clear title.

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
This all too shady. Just tell the guy you'll be happy to deal with him as soon as he can get the title in HIS name.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
This title has a lien on it. He would have to get a new title (still in original owner's name) and forge the seller's signature (since the guy he's giving money to isn't even the owner) and then hope the original owner doesn't somehow find out and try to get the car back.

OH shit i missed that.

you know OP after reading more go for it@! you ignore great advice and people that know more then you. You are right! what can go wrong?

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
OH shit i missed that.

you know OP after reading more go for it@! you ignore great advice and people that know more then you. You are right! what can go wrong?

It's obvious that this guy that's never bought a car before knows something that we don't. :sneaky:

jessieqwert

Jun 21, 2003
How many 80+ year old men are buying 6 speed mini cooper S's with 17 inch wheels?

Good question, now act on this instinct.

justfrank

Feb 18, 2012
probably a car they always wanted but couldn't get.

Being 55, I can guaranty you that NO 80 yr old guy would EVER want a Mini. Realize the cars he grew up with and think it over.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
How many 80+ year old men are buying 6 speed mini cooper S's with 17 inch wheels?

Good question, now act on this instinct.

<snip>

probably a car they always wanted but couldn't get.
Being 55, I can guaranty you that NO 80 yr old guy would EVER want a Mini. Realize the cars he grew up with and think it over.

Now in that age bracket, we either want the 'cuda/RR, Challenger, Charger, Camero/Firebird, Mustang to dream with. Power/muscle cars that either had or wanted but could not keep because already started a family.

Then the street rods :thumbsup:, but those are hardly ever available :(

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
I'm not ignoring anyone's advice! I am thankful for the help I have received... if you feel you are wasting your time here then you do not have to contribute.

I got a notarized letter from JP Morgan confirming the release of the lein. Called the bank and confirmed this is legit. So the title is clean, in the old guy's name. Now lets just say we agreed on a price, my financing company would send me a check in the title owners name and my name, one that we would both have to endorse. This shady guy would need to understand that he will have to go get his money from the current owner after he gives me the title.

Now what would screw me here? This guy is no more than a middle man at this point. I would have the clean title, signed by the current owner, and would have paid the current owner.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
I'm not ignoring anyone's advice! I am thankful for the help I have received... if you feel you are wasting your time here then you do not have to contribute.

I got a notarized letter from JP Morgan confirming the release of the lein. Called the bank and confirmed this is legit. So the title is clean, in the old guy's name. Now lets just say we agreed on a price, my financing company would send me a check in the title owners name and my name, one that we would both have to endorse. This shady guy would need to understand that he will have to go get his money from the current owner after he gives me the title.

Now what would screw me here? This guy is no more than a middle man at this point. I would have the clean title, signed by the current owner, and would have paid the current owner.

Pay the current owner, get the title signed over to you, go to the DMV and get a title in your name.

Call Shady on Fri eve after you have made arrangements to pick up title/car on Sat/Sun as a courtesy so he can make arrangements to get paid.

Shady placing a lien would be the only drawback. Do everything on the weekend, so no lien can be placed on the vehicle.

justfrank

Feb 18, 2012
Then the street rods :thumbsup:, but those are hardly ever available :(

If you go to hot-rod type car shows, many of them are for sale but you'll need ~$40K for a nicer one.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
Well he has the title, still in the previous owners name. Some internet research showed JP morgan has a lein on the title still -- so I told him to find out if this car is actually paid off or not.

Other than that, threw my plate on the back and made it 7 miles to the mechanic safely! Needs some front end work, just like all mini's...

If this lein is gone and just a relic then its time to make a deal!!!!!

red flag. not sure about NY, but here in AZ they wont register a vehicle or even transfer ownership from 3rd party owners. like, if i buy a car from Jose but the title is in eduardo's name, im screwed. id have run away long before that particular red flag tho.

justfrank

Feb 18, 2012
My wife can find better things (in her mind) to do with 40K :rolleyes:

Always a problem ;)

Most people don't have a spare $40K laying around to drop on a vehicle that's pure toy, driven only to car shows or 4th of July parades. Then too, taking up a spare garage space.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Glad everything worked out.

Did you end up paying the original owner.
What happened with the intermediary?