Updated - Buying a 2012 Nissan GT-R - ETA - This Week

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrWizzard

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
I mean I don't like passing certain people who aren't trying to race or anything just because it can come off like a douchebag. I'll avoid it and deliberately take off slow from lights just to make sure I don't accidentally be "that guy" that we are talking about.

I got f**ked in the head severely driving a 4 cyl Camry for the first 7 years of my license and being everyone's b**ch and not being able to do anything about it. Now I will terrorize and destroy anyone who screws with me, or who I can surmise WOULD screw with me if it was a Camry next to them, but I'm also deathly afraid of being or becoming the very thing I despised that made me what I am now...

You are a monster..MONSTER!

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
At a car meet the other day i say a 2001 gsr with a turbo and all the goodies running e85 run against a stock gtr(besides some gaudy ass rims). They ran from a 60 roll and the integra came in first, all 3 runs. My mind was blown.

that integra could have been making upwards of 700-800 hp for all you know... and weighed under 3k lbs. Then given a "from a roll" scenario, of course it pulled the GTR.

The GTR isn't unbeatable... there will always be something faster

Castiel

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2010
It would be awesome to have a pic of you in front of the gtr holding a gtx 580 in each hand. Also have on a MR. T gold necklace and your collar flipped up.
:biggrin:

Hopefully i'll finally get to install my 580's this weekend. They'll still sitting in there boxes next to my computer. Hate being a workaholic.

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
At a car meet the other day i say a 2001 gsr with a turbo and all the goodies running e85 run against a stock gtr(besides some gaudy ass rims). They ran from a 60 roll and the integra came in first, all 3 runs. My mind was blown.

~ 1100 lbs lighter? also no AWD advantage to the GT-R

Last edited:

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
The 3SGTE Camry is a long term goal when I've got money burning in my fireplace and nothing else to spend it on. Dumping $10k into a $1k car is hard to commit to when there are so many more things you can do with $10k (twins for the Cobra would cost me around $6k). As a beater it needs struts, and a full set of quick struts with mounts and everything are around $650 for the OEM spec ones. There are some K Sport coilovers that are around $950. When I decide to do the struts, I will gauge my level of commitment and willingness to dump money into it in aftermarket parts based on which struts I choose. If I can't justify $300 more on struts, there is no way I'm going to psychologically part with the cash required to do a engine swap.

Bait people into being douches, and then smoke them?

Chrono

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2001
Racing from a roll is stupid. Only people with FWD cars do that since off the line with that much power they'll just be tire skipping the whole way through.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
i had someone approach me when filling my tank one day and recommended this very same thing to me.

I personally think they are gaudy as hell. Plus i love my pearl white paint.
Can we see pics of yours please?

alkalinetaupehat

Mar 3, 2008
I had someone approach me when filling my tank one day and recommended this very same thing to me. I personally think they are gaudy as hell. Plus I love my pearl white paint.

Gotta agree with the pearl white paint, favorite paint next to BMW's Interlagos Blue. Part of me though relishes a wicked fast car with a loud exhaust and matte black paint. Only for the weekends, of course. ;)

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Somehow I am not surprised that the Altima is black...

My Altima is black :(.

You'll catch a lone pair of HIDs in your rear view lane weaving through traffic and cutting people off and driving like a douche, only to get up on your ass, hesitate while they size you up, then violently swerve into the lane that is about to end and gun it for all it's worth to try and squeeze around you when there are 20 cars in front of you anyway, and it's always some uneventful car like a black Altima or Accord that gets it's ass handed to itself.

Sigh, I have devolved into a bit of a douchy driver around here, and I rather dislike it. The problem is that people are excessively slow, and I'm talking 30-35mph in a 45mph (for awhile) slow. It's like they forgot that the accelerator can be pushed down further :eek:. The traffic gets really bad on some roads around here, and when roads are designed for certain amounts of throughput (based on speed)... these slowpokes are just making it worse for everyone.

Although, I do have a few rules that I still don't break (and won't), and one of those is never cutting someone off. If I want to get into a faster lane and someone is coming up, I'll ruin my gas mileage a bit just to make sure I don't slow the person down.

Amusingly enough, I saw the lone white GT-R on my way home today, and he was actually the one doing the quick lane changes and stuff trying to get in front of people. He actually came up behind me once and switched to the lane to the right of me. I just thought to myself after surveying the traffic layout, "bad move... you're going to get stuck there", and surely enough... he did :p.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
My Altima is black :(.

Sigh, I have devolved into a bit of a douchy driver around here, and I rather dislike it. The problem is that people are excessively slow, and I'm talking 30-35mph in a 45mph (for awhile) slow. It's like they forgot that the accelerator can be pushed down further :eek:. The traffic gets really bad on some roads around here, and when roads are designed for certain amounts of throughput (based on speed)... these slowpokes are just making it worse for everyone.

So what you do is follow them for bit, give them a chance, then uneventfully change into the right lane and roll passed them at the speed limit without making a scene. If they are on their cell phone or something retarded and that's why they are hogging the left lane going 20 under, then it's ok to go WOT and zoom passed them as hard as you can and blow them into the median so that hopefully they get the point. :biggrin:

Although, I do have a few rules that I still don't break (and won't), and one of those is never cutting someone off. If I want to get into a faster lane and someone is coming up, I'll ruin my gas mileage a bit just to make sure I don't slow the person down.

My favorite is when I'm in my Camry when I pull out from a stop sign. Someone will be a 1/4 mile down the street going 45-55. I pull out, step on it for all it's worth and get to 55-60 with plenty of room to spare so they don't even have to ease off the throttle or anything. Sure enough they are barreling down my ass now going faster than they were previously and looking for any reason to bully me around anyway. I see them, still tiny in my mirror, getting closer and closer, maybe I misjudged their speed, so I stay in the throttle...60, 65, 70, 75, and it doesn't matter, they are intent to get on my ass anyway no matter what I do.

It's like they have made up their mind that because of the kind of car it is that it's going to pull out and go 20 under, so when it doesn't they have to push the pedal to the floor and be a bulley anyway to prove something, and make sure their predetermined outcome plays out anyway :mad:

God forbid someone in a beater pulls out in front of someone else with a better car and actually speeds up so as not to inconvenience them in any way, only for them to be offended that you took off faster than you should in your inferior car. Then the person you pulled out in front of has to turn it into a pissing contest and can't just be grateful you weren't the typical "run the stop then go 20 under" asshole :mad: Damned if you do, damned if you dont.

Driving in public is pure sociology 101 and a case study for pack alpha mentality in humans.

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
So what you do is follow them for bit, give them a chance, then uneventfully change into the right lane and roll passed them at the speed limit without making a scene. If they are on their cell phone or something retarded and that's why they are hogging the left lane going 20 under, then it's ok to go WOT and zoom passed them as hard as you can and blow them into the median so that hopefully they get the point. :biggrin:

Ugh, you'd have to drive in this area. The traffic being so slow and people leaving large gaps between cars at stop lights can back up cars so badly that you're sitting at a green light unable to advance because you'd be clogging up the intersection.

I've learned that while people preach of southern hospitality, people down here are absolutely ignorant while driving, which in turn makes them rather rude while driving. For example, when I merge onto a 65 MPH road around here, it isn't uncommon to have someone next to me (in the right lane), but they simply refuse to move over when the left lane is clear. I usually keep an eye on the on-ramps and the lane beside me to see whether or not I need to move over.

God forbid someone in a beater pulls out in front of someone else with a better car and actually speeds up so as not to inconvenience them in any way, only for them to be offended that you took off faster than you should in your inferior car. Then the person you pulled out in front of has to turn it into a pissing contest and can't just be grateful you weren't the typical "run the stop then go 20 under" asshole :mad: Damned if you do, damned if you dont.

I don't run into that too often, and I certainly don't act in that manner. I don't care if someone pulls out in front of me as long as they don't go terribly slow. At least give me the speed limit (given proper road conditions to do so) and I'm happy enough with that. I usually only drive +5 anyway.

Although, I do care if someone is at a yield or stop and they pull out in front of me and cause me to slow down 10mph or more... that's just terrible driving. That of course assumes I'm not driving at ludicrous speed :p.

I try to keep to a "do unto others" rule when driving :).

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Ugh, you'd have to drive in this area. The traffic being so slow and people leaving large gaps between cars at stop lights can back up cars so badly that you're sitting at a green light unable to advance because you'd be clogging up the intersection.

I've learned that while people preach of southern hospitality, people down here are absolutely ignorant while driving, which in turn makes them rather rude while driving. For example, when I merge onto a 65 MPH road around here, it isn't uncommon to have someone next to me (in the right lane), but they simply refuse to move over when the left lane is clear. I usually keep an eye on the on-ramps and the lane beside me to see whether or not I need to move over.

I don't run into that too often, and I certainly don't act in that manner. I don't care if someone pulls out in front of me as long as they don't go terribly slow. At least give me the speed limit (given proper road conditions to do so) and I'm happy enough with that. I usually only drive +5 anyway.

Although, I do care if someone is at a yield or stop and they pull out in front of me and cause me to slow down 10mph or more... that's just terrible driving. That of course assumes I'm not driving at ludicrous speed :p.

I try to keep to a "do unto others" rule when driving :).

Where do you live? Everything you described is what I experience every day while driving to and from work. Drivers down here are just so ignorant of what's going on around them that they only make the traffic situation worse.

IcePickFreak

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2007
Around here it's the people driving Buicks that are the worst. Completely oblivious to the world around them. A lot of people are just so random in the way they drive. They'll be doing 10 under one minute, flying past you the next, then 10 under again, then cut from the right lane over the the left turn lane at the last second.. what, you didn't know which direction you had to go??

The main road through town here is a 4-lane divided road with a 45mph speed limit. Most people like to drive 35mph down this road even when the road is clear for a 1/4mile ahead of them. Even worse is a lot of times you'll get two people doing it side by side. In the event that you can actually get around them, when I turn down a 2-lane road towards my house that has a 35mph speed limit that I'll drive 40mph on, the same idiot that was doing 10 under, will catch up and ride your ass.. apparently 45 means 35 and 35 means 45. o_O

The other thing that really gets me is turn signals.. almost nobody uses them, and seems like the ones that do make them completely useless anyway. They don't do a whole lot of good if you slow to 5mph and start your turn before you signal. People want all sorts of gadgets in their car, but they can't even be bothered to use the standard equipment like speedometers and turn signals.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Wow wow, enough with the soppy "i was a victim" posts, go start your own support group. This thread is about GT-Rs and people wanting to see pics of these super awesome cars. Speaking of which, I'm still waiting on Sinanju's pic of his awesome pearl white car, which happens to be my favorite color for a GT-R.

IcePickFreak

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2007
Wow wow, enough with the soppy "i was a victim" posts, go start your own support group. This thread is about GT-Rs and people wanting to see pics of these super awesome cars. Speaking of which, I'm still waiting on Sinanju's pic of his awesome pearl white car, which happens to be my favorite color for a GT-R.

Google will let you see all the pics you want, thx for your concern.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001

We have a week to wait. Have to fill the thread with some useless banter.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Google will let you see all the pics you want, thx for your concern.
That's not the point, when someone comes into a car forum claiming to own semi-exotics at an early age, I'm curious. That's all.

As for the OP, he gave an ETA so we'll wait. I'm just poking at the other forum member that seems to be well off with a GT-R and a 650i, just want some legitimacy in the car forum. Too much to ask?

Last edited:

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
The people calling the CTS-v are remarkably stupid. Call it ugly, call it unfashionable, but calling it an old man's car?

My god, snap your fucking head out of your ass.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
That's not the point, when someone comes into a car forum claiming to own semi-exotics at an early age, I'm curious. That's all.

As for the OP, he gave an ETA so we'll wait. I'm just poking at the other forum member that seems to be well off with a GT-R and a 650i, just want some legitimacy in the car forum. Too much to ask?

damn, not everyone is poor.