**UPDATE2: SCREENSHOTS** Interplay Axes Black Isle: Fallout 3 'Shelved'

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by: KidViciou$
i guess by going with the publisher, you have your funding right there, and they will push your games

i remember when Horizons was trying to find a publisher. at the time, they were just a studio, but the publisher gave them the money. it also axed their best designers
and with it some of hsi best ideas.

thats not an accurate picture of how/why the forced out the founder. It basically came down to him promising alot of stuff that he and the company couldnt deliver. It wasnt just the publisher that wanted him out it was the other developers at the studio.

KidViciou$

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: digitalsm
Originally posted by: KidViciou$
i guess by going with the publisher, you have your funding right there, and they will push your games

i remember when Horizons was trying to find a publisher. at the time, they were just a studio, but the publisher gave them the money. it also axed their best designers
and with it some of hsi best ideas.

thats not an accurate picture of how/why the forced out the founder. It basically came down to him promising alot of stuff that he and the company couldnt deliver. It wasnt just the publisher that wanted him out it was the other developers at the studio.

I did not know that. I can understand then, he promised a lot of stuff that made me LOVE the game! because of him, it doesn't look all that great.

I was part of the beta, but hardly played it because i didn't have a good enough comp

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: styrafoam
A funny thing about Interplay, the only things they have in the pipeline are Fallout:BOS and Baldur's Gate:DA2. By closing Black Isle
they are probably saving enough money to finish funding these 2 and then they will fold. With as many studios as this has happend
to I am surprised that anyone becomes an extension of a publisher or signs exclusive publishing deals anymore. I don't know the first
thing about running a studio either, maybe its a necessary evil. It just seems like the biggest end result is being closed by the publisher
a few years later.
And FOBOS2. But you're right, most of the Fallout community thinks Interplay will fold very soon, and then the Fallout 3 license could be purchased easily--hopefully not by EA.

GroundZero

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2002
we need to jack interplay with the atot effect to get them to finish fallout3!!!

here is the contact info:

North American Headquarters:
Interplay Entertainment Corp.
www.interplay.com
16815 Von Karman Ave.
Irvine, CA 92606 USA
1(949)553-6655
Fax: 1(949)252-2820

Public Relations:
pr@interplay.com

Within North America:

Sharon Bansal
National Account Manager-
OEM Sales
Vivendi Universal Games
6080 Center Drive
10th floor
Los Angeles CA 90045
1(310) 431-4377
Fax: 1(310) 431-2377
Sharon.Bansal@vugames.com

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by: GroundZero
we need to jack interplay with the atot effect to get them to finish fallout3!!!

here is the contact info:

North American Headquarters:
Interplay Entertainment Corp.
www.interplay.com
16815 Von Karman Ave.
Irvine, CA 92606 USA
1(949)553-6655
Fax: 1(949)252-2820

Public Relations:
pr@interplay.com

Within North America:

Sharon Bansal
National Account Manager-
OEM Sales
Vivendi Universal Games
6080 Center Drive
10th floor
Los Angeles CA 90045
1(310) 431-4377
Fax: 1(310) 431-2377
Sharon.Bansal@vugames.com

You do know why they canceled it? Because they dont have the money to finish it. Interplay will be bankrupt soon.

KidViciou$

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
seeing as how there are no good mods out there for fallout 2, this winter i would like to spend a little time, and build a mod for it.

give me some ideas on what to include, and a storyline. i was thinking along the lines of an assault maybe on Vault City, or a mission based around vault city. ideas?

styrafoam

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002

I would like to jack them with a tire iron to the bridgework. They are broke and they took an all time great developer with them. Chances are no amount of beging will convince Interplay as it's probably beyond their ability.

styrafoam

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Originally posted by: GoodRevrnd
A funny thing about Interplay, the only things they have in the pipeline are Fallout:BOS and Baldur's Gate:DA2. By closing Black Isle
they are probably saving enough money to finish funding these 2 and then they will fold. With as many studios as this has happend
to I am surprised that anyone becomes an extension of a publisher or signs exclusive publishing deals anymore. I don't know the first
thing about running a studio either, maybe its a necessary evil. It just seems like the biggest end result is being closed by the publisher
a few years later.
And FOBOS2. But you're right, most of the Fallout community thinks Interplay will fold very soon, and then the Fallout 3 license could be purchased easily--hopefully not by EA.

Thank GOD EA stays away from RPG's. I'm also thankful that the Fallout intelectual property isn't controlled by someone else (other than interplay) to make the bidding simpler when they finally do DIE. It's kind of scary with the Playstation games in the mix though, if they are a hit like Dark Alliance was who know what company will smell money and start to take an interest.

Sunner

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
a few years later.

Doesn't Interplay also own the Freespace license?
One could always hope they fold, and that someone good picks up both Fallout and Freespace.

Man, Freespace 3 and Fallout 3, that would make for one hell of a gaming year :D

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Sunner
a few years later.

One could always hope they fold, and that someone good picks up both Fallout and Freespace.

Man, Freespace 3 and Fallout 3, that would make for one hell of a gaming year :D

Yah Freespace 2 was perhaps my second favorite game of all time. I would LOVE Freespace 3 (and they totally left the story open at the end of 2).

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: datalink7
Originally posted by: Sunner
a few years later.

Yah Freespace 2 was perhaps my second favorite game of all time. I would LOVE Freespace 3 (and they totally left the story open at the end of 2).

I suppose I should actually confirm that yes, in fact, Interplay does own the Freespace license.

KidViciou$

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
now THIS sort of game i can accept. it still maintains the same look and feel of fallout in it's transition to 3d.

i thought we were gonna play a game that looked like the intro screen, but i guess it's just a splash screen like the cool loadup screens in FO2.

Sunner

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Looks good to me, they haven't fubar'ed the gfx in any way, at least it doesn't look that way to me.
I say go for it!

And while they're at it, sell Freespace to Volition and let them make a 3!
On the other hand, Fallour 3 and Freespace 3 in the same year would probably be rather unhealthy for me :D

By the way, Freespace fans, Im assuming you know about Blackwater?

bleeb

Lifer
Feb 3, 2000
This is just another indication that Computer People take it in the rear like a champ "sweetboy" in pound-me-in-the-arse prison.

KidViciou$

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I applied to the fallout creation team that's being developed right now. will update when i find out what the project is all about.

oLLie

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2001
Wow I didn't know that was Interplay headquarters. That's crazy, they are just down the street from Troika Games (Tim Cain = creator of Fallout).

Btw, what did amnesiac's post say?

KidViciou$

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
"NO" with an infinite amount of O's

it messed up everyone elses posts and we had to manually shift the page to read them

i was looking at Fallout:BOS and it looks like Fallout: POS!

NOTHING about it reminded me of fallout. jesus christ interplay is garbage